93 Saturn SL2 OVERHEATING

Asked by Aug 14, 2016 at 07:33 AM about the 1993 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

My 93 Saturn Sedan is overheating when
sitting still and sometimes while driving
down the highway, my fan is not coming on
until my car is in the red, and I already
replaced the thermostat and checked for
leaks and the water seems to be circulating
ok

75

Engine cooling systems can have multiple issues causing overheating. Replacing the thermostat is a good start but was the old thermostat bad? You can test the old thermostat by heating it up on the stove on a sauce pan of water and monitor the temperature. Current thermostats begin to open at 195 degrees F. Cooling systems can also have air pockets that don't allow the system to work correctly. Air pockets can be caused by improper refill procedures which require De-aeration (bleeding trapped air from the system). Air pockets can also be created by a leaking head gasket. Years ago we had a tool that contained a chemical that changed color when exhaust gas was present in the cooling system. That measuring tool my still my be available but I have not seen one in a long time. My first guess is you have trapped air in the system because the cooling fan is controlled by a sensor in the cooling system that must be in contact with your coolant to work properly.

19,625

You said "you" replaced the thermostat- did you do the work, or did you have your favorite mechanic do it? Here's what I think: (1) you need a better mechanic, but overall: (2) owning a '93 Saturn Sedan is not going to be an easy experience- use your money to get a better car-

Yes I replaced the thermostat and if I wanted a different car than I wouldn't be on here trying to figure out how to fix mine!!!

Low2Rider thank you for the info and the helpful tips, I did figure out that it was the connection to the fan, so basically I just had to get a new connector and wire it up.. It works awesome now but thank you