93 SL2 dying at idle

25

Asked by Nov 04, 2014 at 12:46 PM about the 1993 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

My 93 sl2  keeps randomly dying at idle. Sometimes I can drive to work and be fine,
other times I will be stopped at a red and all of a sudden kaput...the engine dies. Nothing
dramatic like loud noises or backfires, it just dies like I turned the key. Im not sure whats
going on... I need somewhere to start looking for a cause. Not that I WANT to get to work
every day, but I need to.

12,560

check for vacuum leaks, also could be idle air control valve

25

Tonight I was on my way home and foot on the pedal about 40mph it just started shittin out on me and died in 3 lanes of traffic...

12,560

scan the computer for codes. test the fuel pressure

25

for some reason no codes show up on the thing. I changed the IACV cause i knew it was no good, and the CPS cause I thought it was cause the poor performance. I drove around and it did fine, till the next day I got half way to work and it started acting up and stalled again going about 40. If my fuel pressure is bad, would it just be the filter or something more devious?

25

After flashing the computer TWENTY times and getting nothing, I tried again and I believe I have code 26, and 32.

12,560

code 26 is a quad driver fault. it means there is an open short in a solenoid or circuit. since you are getting a code 32, i would check the egr solenoid. you can get the code for the evap canister , coolant fan relay, ac relay, but since you got 32, im betten it has to do with the egr valve.

12,560

btw, fuel filters can be a problem, and are the easiest to change if you think you have a fuel problem, but usually a fuel pressure test that shows out of spec means a bad fuel pump. I would check the egr thing tho, i think thats where your problem is.

25

Is there some way to test the EGR solenoid and/or purge solenoid so I don't have to order and buy unneeded parts? Fuel pressure tested to a good 44psi this morning so I think I'm okay there.

12,560

egr solenoid should test at 20-50 ohms and i think the purge is the same go to you tube and search how to test my egr solenoid. I think there are vids there. I would also recommend scottykilmer.com. lots of good info there.