I want to "add" 4 wheel drive to my 95 1500 suburban

Asked by May 12, 2013 at 03:29 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C1500

I want to "add" 4 wheel drive to my 95 1500 suburban w/ a 350. I have bought a 99 that has a good working 4 wheel drive on it. My question is this. Have I lost my mind or is this doable? if it is any suggestions? I would appreciate any wisdom that yall could give me. I do have access to two lifts and are tools to help with this job. how long should this take? what do I need to watch out for? what are the tricks to get this done?

Yes it can be done, but be prepared for some work,it won't be easy. Have you thought about just putting the 95 body on the 99 frame? That might be an easier way to go and you won't have to modify any or swap any crossmembers and wiring will be easier. I knew a guy that was always doing things like that, a Camaro 4X4 ElCamino 4X4 he even did a VW bug 4X4 so it can be done..

I see complications on an electrical level---Have you got locking hubs? is the selector between 2 and 4wd fully electrical, are there more than one generation of equipment you're tryin' to join together....you may be wise to plan this operation noting the complications, then decide~

Paul Whitlock

you ll need to put in so much work that you will wish you just bought a 4wd Suburban. My 2wd suburban got around in snow almost as well as my 4wd one, not enough difference to justify the change over.

...everyone has to have a hobby, mine is answering car questions~

Anything is doable with time, money and patience. Is it the right thing to do? Only you can decide. But like others have posted, you will be met by challenges. We can be here to help.

Best Answer

said it in the other post. It's easier to just find a suburban that's already a 4x4. The front ends are different. And a 99's trans wont work on a 95. Go buy a locker or something

full electric transfer (no shift leaver) no locking hubs. 99 donor 1500 w/ 350 to 95 recipient 1500 w/ 350. useful? yeah I know just looking to have something to say "I did it". Kind of a hobby. Money well couldn't we all use more of that? but I am going to spend it somewhere, but I am getting the felling that it would be best, if at all, to change the top of the frame (body swap) rather than under the frame, the legs part. I had not thought about that route. good catch! thank you! So... to 4x4 or not to 4x4... that is the question.

If you really want to make it something. Do a solid axle swap in the front and lift the back a little to match. Thats the best way to go. Anyone with a 88+ 4x4 chevy would agree they would rather have a solid axle.

David ANiqqa

Can i put a 4wd transmission on a 2wd chevrolet Suburban c1500

If you an a crossmember, the transfer case and a new driveshaft. Yes but that doesn't give you 4x4