Saturn L200 - When the car sits in sun during at least 65° weather, the car will start initially and then cut off. After the sun goesdown and car cools off, it will start and run. I have taken to the

Asked by Mar 30, 2015 at 07:13 PM about the 2002 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr L200 Sedan

Taken to dealer car will start and doesn't
have issue.  Dealer not able to determine
cause.  Plus all gauges do not work.  Help?

40

First, if you have not already done so, explain to your shop that this is an intermittent problem...meaning a problem that you are not able to easily reproduce. Second, ask them to have one of their mechanics take the car home for the weekend and drive it a bit. Yes, this means you'll be without it so, plan accordingly. Finally, if your gauges are not working then this could be a problem with the electrical system. This might be as simple and inexpensive as replacing a few blown fuses...or it could be as complex and expensive as replacing the car's computer. I had a 2006 Saturn Vue that had the all the gauges go out. The car was under warranty so, the computer was replaced at no charge. With your gauges being out and if it is related to an electrical issue, then this could be related to the intermittent starting issue. If the computer is overheating then it may not be able to "tell" your car when you turn the key to start until it cools down again. The other thing that can cause vehicle to have intermittent starting problems in hot weather is something called "vapor lock". But, typically vapor lock only happens in 90+ degree weather with high humidity on older cars with carburetors. Your L200 is fuel injected and you're not in 90+ degree temperatures with high humidity, but if they don't isolate the problem otherwise...have them check the fuel pump, fuel lines and your engine's intake.

Junk the car ! Sell it ! No one can fix it ! It is a Saturn ! Sell it in the winter ! I have the same problem with my 2002 saturn l200 - 2.2 liter Starts fine in the morning. Then in the afternoon after starting it 2 or 3 times it will stay running untill I get home. Then when I take the key out of the ignition the key is hot ??? Really Hot ! No one can fix the probelem. Only in the summer do I have this problem. Starts everytime if the temperature is under 80 degrees.