2001 Saturn L series, turns but no start, ECM fuse keep blowing

Asked by Dec 06, 2013 at 01:16 PM about the 2001 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr L300 Sedan

My car was running pretty good. I was driving, doing errands. Had the car on, listening
to radio for a few minutes. Turned it off to go to store. Came back, wouldn't start.
I had it towed home, had the starter replaced. The next day after replacing starter, went
to store, came out, tried to start, but it wouldn't turn. Waited about 2 or 3 minutes, then
it started up again. Ran fine for a few weeks, maybe a month.

Then, I drove somewhere, came out a couple of hours later. Started the car, began to
reverse out of parking space, and it just shut off. Tried to wait it out for at least an hour
and a half, trying periodically to start it. I even tried to get a jump, thinking maybe it
was the battery, but the jump did not help.
The radio worked, but NONE of the dash lights came on. They flickered once when I
attempted to start, but that's it. I even took my battery to auto part store - the lady
there said it was pretty much dead as can be, that she had to wait for the machine to
give it some juice. But even after the store charged it up and I took it home that
evening, the car still wouldn't start.
Had someone come look at it, they knocked around/tapped on my fuel pump a couple
of times as well as said the BCW/ECM fuse had blown. They took out one of the fuses
for the headlight and put it in its place. The car finally started. I was so happy. I thought
I would only need to replace that headlight fuse and I'd be A-OK. WRONG.

I turned the car on to move it to a different parking space the same night that my friend
got it started and then it shut off again. The fuse had blown again.
The next day, I went to get some more fuses - 10, 15, 20. The car blew ALL of those
fuses. Still won't start- will turn, but not crank, I guess. Radio still works, but again, NO
DASH LIGHTS whatsoever.

Can someone please help me?! Is it a fuse, is it the computer, fuel pump, starter,
wiring? What is wrong or what can I do?

150

Hi- I'm having a similar issue with my 2002 L200. A few days ago my car was running fine, I went into a restaurant and came out about 30 mins later and it wouldn't start. Nothing, no noise no lights, dead. Then my friend jiggled my headlight arm and the battery and it started. It ran fine for a few days and then today I was driving along, everything was normal and all my dash lights came on and I couldn't accelerate anymore- then my steering wheel locked and I lost power completely. I turned my car off and then it cranked as usual and I promptly drove it home. About two hours later I decided to take it to autozone where I bought the battery over the summer, they checked the battery and it was at 85%. I went to leave and it wouldn't crank again. I popped the hood, jiggled the battery and it cranked long enough for me to get it home. Have you had any luck solving your issues?

20

Im having the same issue 2001 saturn ls went to the gas station to get gas a half a tank went to crank the car it wouldnt its been about 2 weeks now since Ive had my car so listening to these problems it sound like a lot of money is invloved so I think I might just junk my car and get the money I only paid 1200 for it gonna see if I could at least get half

150

Yeah, I never figured out what the issue was. I wound up totaling it back in October. But, I was able to sell it for parts for $200. So, since yours is in better condition, I bet you can get $600.

20

After having a similar issue on a 2001 Lw300 3.0 I found that their is a crank position sensor that overheats and shorts out, basically they are the culprit in a no start scenario. Most shops know this already 100.00 sensor 20 minute swap if that