Lagging acceleration

65

Asked by Aug 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM about the 2001 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr L300 Sedan

Why does my cylinder keep dying on me after I start driving it? As I accerlate it tends to lag on acceleration. As I come home from work I think it shuts off completely and I have a deeper exhaust tone coming from the tail pipe and don't accelerate as normal.

10,235

maybe catalytic converter?

65

it might be. someone told me that maybe i should have my fuel line cleaned out by adding something called "Heet". maybe i should change my fuel filter too. My dad's friend at Jensen Tire said I could still have carbon deposits in the cylinders. Idk I'll have to find out.

885

sounds like the catalytic converter is restricted.

65

thx guys I'll check it out

5

yeah mine does the same thing, sometimes, especially when im accelerating, i feel like i have to push the peddle down more than i have to other times, sometimes its really touchy and responsive and shifts fine and other times i have to push the peddle down half way just to take off at a decent speed, ive had a few garages tell me that my torque converter is not working correctly and ive had others tell me that since i have a holey muffler something with the air pressure is off or something, idk but i wanna figure this out!!

65

I think I found the problem guys. I had to get my ECU switched out cause the other one was old and dying. Also we have reason to believe that the head gasket thats leaking is the problem. So, yeah its an expensive job. Getting it fixed might be a problem since I don't have enough money.....oh well. The beast shall die.....lol

10

I have an LW300 that was acting the exact same way, it got to the point that you could floor it and it would do nothing. Ended up being the Catalitic Converter. Y ou could allso check the MAS that can be a cheap easy fix as well.

45

Who ever said MAS its MAF for mass air Flow sensor. and if its his catylatic converter take it to autozone and if the code P0420 comes up its your cat. i have the same thing

there's a vacuum hose on the very top of the motor, you might have to replace that. it breaks down after a while :) hope this helps

45

ya my head gasket leaked to just get a new seal. you would know if the actuall gasket is blown or cracked they are like 20.00 dollars

30

Saturn 2001 L200, 2.2L engine was legging on acceleration. 200,000 km mileage. NOT CALYTIC CONV. it actually were my SPARK PLUGS. The electrode was just a little bulb on the tip. SO I bought 4 NGK pieces for 20 bucks and the car runs so ever smoothly. So before changing Catalytic Converter (which on 2001 L-siries is easy, because it is bolt on piece) check your spark plugs. it's easy to do and won't cost you much.

5

I know this is late, but in response to Denys, I have the same make and model. My dad normally does the work for my car, but he is out of state. How many spark plugs will I need for a 2001 Saturn L200???

THIS CAR WAS RECALLED FOR IGNITION PROBLEMS BUT MOST PEOPLE DID THE CHEAP BYPASS FOR SERCURITY. COMMON PROBLEMS OF CHEAP BYPASS IS FLUCUATING RMP, MORE GAS CONSUMPTION,LOSS OF POWER,STARTS HARDER AND WARM UP TIME FEELS LIKE YOU HAVE BROKEN MOTOR MOUN. SO I WOULD CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR IGNITION SECURITY HAS BEEN BYPASSED