could this be a broken axle or I hope not transmission gone. Please help me figure this out.

Asked by Dec 08, 2013 at 09:06 PM about the 2001 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr L100 Sedan

I was backing out of a parking space, and when I put it in drive I heard a loud noise. the
car wouldnt move and was making a loud noise. could this be a broken axle or I hope not
transmission gone. Please help me figure this out.

take the front end up in the air....with both wheels danglin'...put 'er in neutral...spin the wheel...the opposite side should spin the other way...if someone is eatin' walnuts you'll know...also the boot which contains a measure of poisonous grease will have leaked out through a crack in the boot...you'd see that~ if the transmission were faulty probably would not be able to put it into neutral in the first place~