trouble code P1441, replaced EVAP purge solenoid, but didn't seem to solve the problem.

Asked by Aug 01, 2015 at 08:21 AM about the 2000 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr LS1 Sedan

As stated above, I had a test done and it threw a P1441 code. I did some research and found that in most cases you need to replace the EVAP canister purge solenoid, so I did that, but my car still idles rough and the service engine soon light is still on. What do I do now?

With this particular OBDII code, on a Saturn, the purge valve is open when it shouldn't be...the EVAP is in a sealed condition but for some reason there is a vacuum flow from fuel tank to charcoal canister, through purge valve, in to and past intake plenum. You did the right thing replacing the purge valve solenoid. So, the only other part to throw this code is the fuel tank pressure sensor. Your engine is probably running very rich, and if you see black smoke that will support my opinion here

Rich running you may also detect an odor of gasoline. Here is the vacuum/pressure sensor. Still looking for the location

Bottom line is fuel vapors are escaping...when they should not be

And finally, is this the part you replaced?

Thank you for the response, FordNut, and yes, the part in the illustration above is the one I replaced. But I haven't seen any black smoke or encountered any gasoline smells throughout the course of this situation since the light first came on. There has only been the service engine light, rough idle, and decrease in gas mileage. Could it be that I might need to reset the computer after having replaced the purge solenoid?

BTW, my engine is a 4 cylinder, 2.2.