Power door locks don't work on front and sliding doors. Any ideas how to fix this?

Asked by Jul 09, 2007 at 03:46 PM about the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring

The power locks on our van do not work for the front two doors, and the sliding doors.  All is well with the hatch in the back.

I can't get the locks to work either from the intererior switch, or from the key fob.  If the doors are unlocked, then the sliding side doors work, but if they are locked, they will not slide open even when using the control on the key chain.

Any ideas on what to look for?  I've checked the fuses in the engine compartment, and they are all there and healthy.  

Thanks!

Rhinodad, I will be watching for a response as our 2007 T&C minivan is having similar problems. The automatic locks will not operate from the remote key fob, but the sliding doors will open and close with the remote. When trying to lock the doors using the key fob, the horn will honk but the locks aren't moving. Darrell

710

At Edmonds.com I found these solutions (as I too was experiencing the same issue): Reseat the IOD 20A fuse. This may be only a temp. solution as I have read. I just pulled the fuse this morning and everything works fine now. HOWEVER, I read that it is merely a temp. fix for a new code that needs to be programed into the BCM. Think of it as a Microsoft update that most computers "require" periodically. I canceled the appt. I had set up for Wednesday and will have them enter the new code at my next regular service appt.

460

Thank you to the last poster. (shni). I had the problem with the locks on my 2005 Town and Country. I just went out and reset the 20A IOD fuse, and it worked! Genius!

190

Had the same problem. Just rolled out to the garage, pulled the fuse and replaced it. Problem solved. Works like a champ. Chrysler T&C, a great van until 100,000 miles then the wheels fell off, engine fell out and now I get to pull and replace a fuse periodically to get my stupid auto locks and doors to work....what a POS!

70

I actually made it to 150,000 miles, but now I'm having all the same problems. This is the first and last Chrysler I will buy. Back to Hondas for me.

170

Thanks everybody for the info. I'm 2500 miles from home when the door locks stoped working. Not in one place long enough to get looked at. Did what you advised and all is well. Thanks again everybody for taking the time to leave your comments.

80

wonderful advice .. work like a charm... thanks.

50

worked for me 2 minutes after i read the edmunds article @top of page

180

Thank you! Just bought a 2005 Chrysler t&c Friday and realized that night that the power door locks didn't work. Should have done a more thorough inspection on the car. Went to the dealer today and they said I would have to bring it to their service station about 45 mins from my house. This discussion saved me a trip!

180

Temp fix only lasted two days. Guess I have to bring it in. Lame.

20

That trick worked for me! I thought I'd gone back to the days when cars had only manual locks...Nightmare over now.

Was it making sounds when you used the switches? Or Key fob , as mine is making the sound. Hell I will pull the fuse and see if that works, wont cost anything.

150

Is there a way to fix this without having to pull and replace the fuse all the time? This quick fix only lasts a day or two, if that.

180

Had to bring it to Chrysler. It was a computer thing. A computer upgrade needed to be done. That's the only was to permanently fix the problem. Thankfully my car was still under warranty so no charge.

30

i have the same problem on my van now will try to pull the fuse to reset as everyone recommend.to see..if it really work..

7,805

there is a reflash avail. through chrysler, if you get tired of pulling fuse.....this was a common problem for quite a while.

7,805

If you have one that tries to move but wont quite lock. the lock accuator needs to be replaced. You can buy this seperate from latch.

60

thejeepdoctor what is this reflash that is available through Chrysler for the door locks? appledmp@aol.com

50

Is this the the fuse box in the engine? Or is there another one? Thanx!!!!

150

The fuse box under the hood, yes.

210

Under the hood is one of your fuseboxes, for the ECM, engine control module. for most things inside the vehicle the body control module runs those, and the fusebox for those is located in the cabin, under the dash just left of the steering wheel, there is a panel there that pops out with two clips, each is marked, in both places, as to what they are fuses for

20

I caught this fix and it worked for me...however I just took it to the dealership and they said it was the accuator??? But the fuse was fixing it temporarily and the doors were not trying to open. Does anyone know is my dealership on crack and going for the easy answer rather then the computer/software update?

10

not the actuator. If the actuator goes, it make no sound. Pull the fuse, mine will work from a few weeks to months.

you guys are the best i did exactly that and it worked like a charm reseting the 20A iod fuse did the trick thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tried it tonight, didn't work for me. I have to take the car in anyway because the AC stopped working and recharging it lasted maybe a week!

40

I switched the fuse but that did not work. Maybe I need a software upgrade? Wonder how much those are?

I had the same issue with the locks, pulled the IOD 20 amp fuse wiped it off put it back in and it worked, sounds like it still needs a computer update but this temp fix worked great, appreciate all the posts I was chasing my tail trying to figure this thing out.

2000 Caravan/Voyager I have problem with power door locks not working intermittently, I pulled IOD fuse but that did not fix it, I'm thinking now that the ignition key contacts are worn as it has a feature that prevents the doors from being locked if key is in ignition so if its worn, maybe its getting wrong signal, or could be broken wire or bad contact. May take BCM out and reseat it 2-3 times to clean the contacts. I swapped the identical switches from passenger to driver side , no difference. Now I also got 2014 KIA Sedona EX loaded, except the doors unlock 100 times a day...no adjustment or preferences apparent , called 10 dealers , no luck, they are perplexed. The Deland FL KIA service dept was very rude and even yelled at me (shocking when I asked for help)... they said its unchangeable live with it> The Daytona Beach Kia dealer service dept has not called me back with any solution. May have to return car and get money back, as I can't live with this problem of constant doors unlocking 100 x day. On top of that the sales finance people flimflammed me by saying since this was a "certified preowned with low miles" that I could get the full 10 yr 100k mi "FACTORY " warranty,,, then they switched it to FIdelity a 3rd party warranty co (may be very difficult to claim any service needs). Beware, when they open their mouths out come deceptions. Ie 10yr/100k is code for 5yr/60k which in turn is code for 5 yr - your car years, same for miles so a 2014 with 7500 which they tell you has 10y/100k Factory warranty becomes a 2.5 yr/ 52.5 k mi Factory Warranty and youj are stuck with a 3rd party co for the rest of the powertrain warranty.

Had the same problem with my van -- the doors wouldn't lock. The only way to make them work temporarily was to remove a yellow fuse (under the hood) and then plug it back in. Solved the problem by taking the car to a Chrysler dealership. They programmed a new code into BCM and now the doors work :)

Programming a new code into BCM worked. It cost me about $200 in 2016.

My dealer gave me estimate of $450 plus saying the whole electronic part needs to be changed and re-programmed. Will pass and will keep driving without auto locks. Miles on 2005 town and country 155,000. Resetting is only a temp fix.

2009 Town and Country under the hood fuse box must have changed from 2007. I had the door lock problem and changed fuse M38 ( door lock ) and it worked . Old fuse was fried. There was a 10A fuse in and I replaced with a 10 A...however the schematic called for a 25 A. If it fries again, I will put in a 25A

10

What if both sliding doors are not locking or unlocking with the remote? They both stopped working at the same exact time, so I don't think it would be the motor or the wiring.

You should also check the chassis ground wires. I almost wore out my IOD fuse socket until I tried this fix. My 2005 has almost 200K miles so far it's only the little things that need attention. Here is a link for the ground wire fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=ZSEAVnWP5X0

The problem is corrosion of the ground wire at 300A. Clean both Left and Right sides. The IOD is only a temporary fix.