2007 Chrysler Sebring -Engine light started flashing and my car started to shake, or miss.

Asked by Jul 16, 2014 at 07:49 PM about the 2007 Chrysler Sebring 4 Dr Touring

I was on the express way going about 70 when this occurred.  However, when I
dropped the speed down below 40, the shaking/missing stopped and the engine light
quit blinking.
I did notice when it was missing, the RPM gauge did not dip up and down like I would
think it would if it was actually the motor missing? Also, I have 121.000 miles on it.  
The oil checked out ok, although I'm overdue for a oilchange.
I'm no car mechanic.. just wondering if this is going to be a expensive transmission
issue?  I was burned by a mechanic who likes to take advantage of female customers,
so I would like to be knowledgeable before I shell out a ton of $$. Thanks

Sounds to me like you need a tune up. However it could be a stretched timing chain/belt not very likely at only 120k miles. I wouldn't think that this would be a transmission issue. If the check engine light was flashing more then likely the car was reporting a misfire. Go be an auto zone or advances auto parts and have them to pull the codes on the car. They don't charge for this. At least this way you can find out what the code was at that time since they are stored in the cars computer and research it based on your car and not get screw by a mechanic again. Best of luck.

3,715

A situation like this is a blessing in disguise. Yes a possible tune up or dirty injector, but could be more. Best to have trusted garage check codes and check everything. Being stranded is no fun. Timing chain change is recommended at around 90K on 2.7L, this is a good time to replace water pump as it is easily accessible at same time saving labor. Hoses, wires, plugs, coolant, trans fluid change, brakes, tires, suspension, exhaust, all worth a good evaluation if not done already. Check your manual for service guidelines and intervals. If it's missing get one at mopartechauthority.com. I use synthetic oil to or prevent sludge, ease starting in any weather, and stretch change intervals. Cheers.

jenny this happen to my car (same make, same model, same year) last night, I was wondering if you could tell me what ended up being wrong with your car and how much did it cost you to repair?

20

Hi Brooke. The very helpful people who answered above were right. It was the timing chain. It completely locked up on me the very day after I asked this question. My mechanic advised me to seriously consider moving on to a different or new car, which is what i decided to do. About 3 months before this problem occured, I had put over 1,200 dollars in to getting a new cydillic converter (spelling) and a few other things. My mechanic told me my model Sebring was the 4th one he had seen with this very problem. The mechanic estimated around 1,800-2,000 dollars to fix it. He said the timing chain was very hard to access in the Sebrings and actually said he didn't want to even attempt it. So, I used it as a trade in and bought a 2015 Chevy Spark. I'm so happy that I traded it in. My Sebring was my all time favorite car. But once I reached about 95,000 miles, I started to have problem after problem. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

What size motor was it ?

20

It was a 2.7 V-6 Touring

10

Too funny. (Well not really) I looked this up after the same scenario. Just replaced catalytic converter a month ago and now on highway as I let off the fuel it shakes for a sec and light starts flashing. Thanks for the answers, I'll be visiting my mechanic on Monday.

Same has happened to me twice. 1st time was the timing belt, this time just a spark plug. At auto zone they told me to change #3, super easy, what a relief! Sebring 2004 conv 4cyl. -michele