HELP! My 2007 Chrysler Sebring radiator hose just popped off and caused it to overheat

70

Asked by Jul 04, 2013 at 09:32 PM about the 2007 Chrysler Sebring 4 Dr Touring

I was just driving going about 45mph all of a sudden the warning light came on to warn
me no coolant and car was overheating. I pulled over to popped the hood to discover
the radiator hose on the passenger side came off. I didn't see any tears or cuts
anywhere. After waiting for it to cool down I tried pushing it back in unfortunately I had
no tools in my trunk as I just cleaned it out and didn't replace bag so I had to do it by
hand the best I could. there was still anti-freeze in the reservoir. I started it back up and  
drove about 2 mins and it started overheating again, pulled over same issue hose off
and all anti freeze from reservoir gone. I haven't tried to replace hose with tools yet as it  
had got to dark to see. Can I try putting it back on with tools this time repositioning the
clamp, fill the radiator with anti-freeze as well as the reservoir and see if the clamp was
just lost or could that not be the problem?

108,835

Inspect hose very well before reusing. You will probably find an issue with the hose such as tear or hole but if not Try putting back on properly. And refill anti freeze. Check for leaks as engine warms.

those clamps are awful cheap...the OEM ones....you must replace this or these with "breeze" screw clamps that can be installed without disconnecting anything other than the clamp...then twist it back together once it is around the hose....once you get it all buttoned up, there is a pressure tester that should be used to make sure there are no other surprises~

hope the fates are with us and you DID NOT blow a headgasket~....cross your fingers and toes~

70

Thank you very much for your replies. I am going to 1st try as suggested by replacing clamp and replacing hose. filling radiator with anti-freeze and reservoir as well. When I start the car to check for presser and/or leaks do I leave radiator cap off?

70

Don't think it's the headgaskets, no anti-freeze came out no place but from the radiator when the hose popped off. And wouldn't the car not start if the headgaskets blew?

yes...and yes...get 'er started, put the cap on...fill the translucent reservoir to "full cold"...put the cap on and note any fluid leakage...if once operating pressure is achieved (15 min, approx.) the translucent jug should start to read "full hot"...if it is not expanding properly or is air- bound...let it cool down and fill it again to the "full cold" and try it again....no drips or leaks should appear now~

3,350

Do yourself a favor and flush the cooling system several times with water and a flushing agent BEFORE you try to run this thing again and possibly due more damage. Replace the thermostat as well. It could be something as simple as a minor blockage in the radiator.

70

Sounds easy enough. Thank you all for your help, you guys are the best!!. This couldn't happen at the most worst time, as I am moving out of state on Saturday and the car will be on a dolly, but I have to be able to get the car to the place in order for them to put it on. Not to mention money is tied up in this 823 mile move.

108,835

Hope you get it back going and be safe on your trip.

70

The flushing I could do, but the changing of the thermostat I would need to have someone to do which I don't know anyone means I will have to pay $$$ due to me not having any lifters to do it myself. :-(

it's under the water neck...about three inches in diameter~ follow the top hose till the end of it....bingo, you'll find it~

I disagree with flushing the cooling system...unless water was used this shouldn't be an issue...the main concern is to dispose of your expired coolant safely...capture in old milk containers and recycle at your autoparts store~ drain the coolant and put it back...if it looks contaminated have the flush done, else really will not accomplish much, and creates an environmental hazard and every time the block gets exposed to plain water invites the galvanic corrosion...best not to even go there and leave exposure to the 50/50 mix....just one opinion from the judge~

3,350

As a reefkeeper (I have a saltwater reef tank in my home) I can promise you that any filtered water (RO, distilled, vapor dist) will have some dissolved solids in it. Even the water in the 50/50 mix has some. Over time, and especially if the cooling system is neglected, those solids build up. Even if its just for peace of mind, flush the system. This is even more crucial if the vehicle has overheated. When that mix boils, the dissolved solids are left behind, attached to the metal it was passing over.

10

My hose also broke off but it happened in the middle where the silver part is at I tried to connect them again but the same problem happened my car over heated.. how would I fix it or what's it call. I tried to look is up but so much other stuff popped up.

695

Get rid of the hose clamp he whole nine yard/get all new put on properly