2007 battery issue

Asked by Mar 10, 2011 at 04:49 PM about the 2007 Chrysler Sebring 4 Dr Touring

I have 2007 Sebring Touring V6 w/ abt 44K miles. Battery light started coming on intermittently. Car starts no problem, sometimes light comes on when I pull out of driveway, other times it doesn't come on until I've driven for a while. Some days I drive to/from work (10 miles) -- no light. Took it to a mech who said the alternator was over charging the battery (15.5 when its supposed to be around 14), and I needed a new alternator and battery. Bought a new DieHard @ Sears (675CCA - they looked it up in the computer), took it to Chrysler dealer, who said the alternator and starter were fine, and that I needed a new battery. I told them there was a new battery in the trunk, and to put that one in. Dealer says DieHard is too strong (should be 525 CCA), said I need their battery ($250 - forget that!). Talked to Chrysler mech on th "QT" and he told me either batter is ok. Sears won't take the DieHard back because they said that is the correct one, and they don't make DieHard in 525 CCA, so I had them install the new 675 I purchased originally. This morning, pulled out of my driveway, and light came back on. Can someone please tell me what the deal is? I don't know who's telling me the truth!! Thanks!  :)

11,925

The larger CCA battery will be fine especially if you live in colder climates. After reading the story and looking at the wiring I would suggest you take to a technician that has some experience with COMPUTER related problems in cars. He will know how to trace your problem properly as it may involve the computer controlling the alternator properly. That being said to me it sounds like a loose or bad control wiring to the alternator. I would start there ..

THANK YOU SO MUCH MIKE!!! I appreciate your advice. It's nice to be able to get some honest knowledgable answers! :) -K