Is it possible that a faulty a/c compressor could cause computer problems?

5

Asked by Sep 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet Impala 4 Dr SS Sedan

The car runs fine until I turn on the A/C. After several minutes of running, the engine just shuts off. If I turn off the A/C and wait a few minutes, it will start and run fine. Any thoughts?

7,610

possible, yes. let GM look into it. saw something similar before, unsure about that model and year.

5

Thanks. This problem has been driving us crazy.

7,610

Theres two ways to look at it, the engine runs,....................... the engine runs very strong and well............... or the engine barely runs ? Then the load from the compressor activating is going to drag it some, is that all it takes to stall it?..........See that can be a tuneup, the factors measured during a tuneup......or the parts used in previous tunups...........Fuel pressure can be low, although it runs. Base Timing can be set out of spec, although ir runs, and so forth. sensors and controls can cause power loss, although it runs. so a tech has a list of prechecks he does to give a basic look at the maintenance and the age of the parts in use. his experience and knowledge of what can happen comes into play. Books about these systems that have photos and prechecks can save time and years of study for harry homeowner. like chilton, haynes, etc. Gauges, testers and scan tools can be got from parts stores. If you take your vehicle to some low price place to "savemoney" Their menu tune special can consist solely of 4,6, or 8 spark plugs that are not A/C delco. That is not a tune up. that's a spark plug replacement with plugs that might fire. it can get more embarrassing from there. Then the policies and excuses get maddenning. Mr. Goodwrench hangs his rep on an engine that runs right and no a/c compressor can stop it unless there's an electrical problem affecting the computer. There, now I have fully armed you with self help info. and the real truth. Then the a/c function being controlled and wired like it is can have some malfunction

7,610

I would expect a troublecode for it and or a service bulletin that tells Mr. G what to do about it. like a shorted part or the protective loop diode has some issue. the computer reacts to. ........Inspection is worth 10 speculations. high quality parts are worth their price. Chinese junque should be floating somewhere. Delco parts, even though the lab is in singapore, are made to last and actually are as specified. not just similar in appearance

17,335

I've had smaller engines shut off when the compressor was over filled and became over pressurized. I would think that v8 would give in to it but I'd be curious to see your pressures. Compressor diode is always possible, when the clutch let's go there is a surge and it's there to stop it. But I would think it would be a more sudden stall

7,610

The one that stuck out in my memory was a pickup with a v8. one school of thought was compressor diode and the other was poor runability, the correction was not solved that I saw, but tune parts were cheapos and fuel pressure was low. the temp ambient was high and they had no gauges to report ac, so we had suggested professional hands on, as I recall.