95 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L 3T40 Transmission

20

Asked by Apr 25, 2012 at 03:04 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

The car  won't go in forward or reverse. It appears to not be  leaking transmission fluid. Shifter works good. Axles seem good. When turning wheel from side to side makes sound like air leaking.Perhaps separate rack and pinion leak. When put shifter into gear no noticeable sound. If  transmission pump or pump axle is bad would I hear a sound with car stethoscope?  .If torque  converter bad what sound would I hear if any?
Put in used transmission and torque converter  myself  7 months ago. Has been running fine. Floored it the other day, ran slower. Restarted few hours later , put in Tran-X stop leak and lube. ran ok.Stopped at light. When light  changed wouldn't move.Pushed car to side of road.
Took off transmission cooler lines. With car running no fluid coming out. So I figure transmission pump. Any positive suggestions how to diagnose it further or repair it ?

65

I know that late 80s cavaliers had a bad habit of breaking off the end of the shift cable. I can't address the noise in the steering but that has no bearing on the inability to shift. Check where the cable joins the transmission.

20

Nope. That's fine. What else you got?

65

I dont want to be a wise ass but at this point I would call a tow truck and take it to a Chevy dealership. You can waste more time and $$$ trying to figure it out yourself.