Windshield Fluid Not Coming Out....why?

Asked by Feb 27, 2015 at 02:44 PM about the 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring

I put windshield fluid in the container under the hood, but no fluid is coming out of the little
dispensers from top of the hood, so my windshield is not getting cleaned when I press the
lever/turn signal inside by the steering wheel. What could be the problem?

Robert Wetzel

Can you hear a sound when you press the lever? Maybe the nozzles/dispensers on your hood are clogged up. Try to clean them carefully with a needle or hairpin (that way you can also adjust where they point to). If that doesn't help, or no sound can be heard, it might be that you need a new washer fluid pump.

Robert make a very good point, but when that happened to me they were just frozen solid

Ok, I checked the hose that runs to them and it is connected. No, all I can hear are the wiper blades scraping the windshield. The fluid in the container is not frozen, but I do live here in the northeast, and our winter has been frigid. So, maybe it is frozen. Thank you for the answers, guys. I appreciate it. Is the pump hard to get to? Is there a fuse that controls the pump?

Robert Wetzel

Mhm, you should also be able to hear some faint pumping sound on most cars...don't know about Chrysler, though, sorry. Some years ago I had a Maxima and the garage replaced the pump for about $200 (but I live in germany where anything car-related is a lot more expensive, so it'd be half that in your case). There's definetely a fuse, but I doubt it's broken when everything else (ignition, lights, horn, radio, etc.) works. You would find the fuse in the fuse box under the hood, it's usually about 10x5 inches with a black plastic cover on which the fuses are symbolized. Probably looks something like this: One more possibility: Use alcohol. No, not to drink it, darling, but spray some alcohol into the nozzles and add some more to the fluid container. Press the lever a bit more/longer (you might want to turn your wipers away first so they don't scrape all the time) so that the alcohol is pumped through the hose and can work as a defroster. Glass cleaner works very well for this, as it mostly consists of pure cleaning alcohol. You can also add it to your washer fluid for the next winter so don't get the frost problem to begin with ;)

Best Answer
Bob Beaman

If you cannot hear the washer pump running when trying to wash the windshield (from outside the car) then the washer solution is either frozen or the motor is bad or not receiving power. Perhaps check your owners manual to see if a fuse is involved and possibly blown.

Best Answer

Thank you all for the help. I will try your solutions. Such kind people, I appreciate you all.

Mike Nicely

I had a 2011 grand caravan. Washer fluid not coming out; could hear pump trying to work. Thought line was frozen, but even after a couple of 60 degree days same problem. Thought maybe the pump failed. Took off the pump from the tank, and found a small filter. Appears somehow the dye in the washer fluid had separated from the fluid and gunked up the plastic filter. When the pump tried to pull fluid from the tank, it couldn't because the filter was blocking it. Took the filter off, ran it under hot water, cleaned it up and reinstalled. Works like new. Good clue that this is your problem, as soon as you remove the pump from the tank, the fluid should come out. Mine didn't until the filter was removed.