Jumped timing

Asked by Jan 20, 2016 at 10:13 AM about the 2007 Chrysler 300 Base

my 2007 2.7 liter Chrysler 300 water
pump went I took it to the shop to have
it replaced and when the guy put it
back together he said something
about the tension and since its been
running it has jumped timing twice
could this damage the motor and can
it be fixed without replacing the motor

104,375

Why wasn't the tensioner replace right then and there? Yes it can cause engine damage, anywhere from bent valves to broken Pistons and worse possible scenario cracked block.

Well when he put it back together he said something about the tensioner not working to tighten the timing chain so we got him a new one. in fact we bought a new water pump and new timing chain and all of its surrounding components with the new tensioner and oil pump it was a whole kit but after he so-called replaced everything he said that he started the car and the he hear a big piping noise or something even though the tensioner came with the water pump and timing chain all of its components and an oil pump as a kit he said that it had to be the wrong tensioner when asked for the one that he originally took off the car he said that it fell apart when he took the car down and he had thrown it away but after speaking with him about my she being in a better condition when i brought it there he all of a sudden found the old tentioner pen that he said had popped out and fell apart when he origional took the car down he said that he found the old one under the car and that he had fix the car but when backing out of the garage it jumped timing again when I took the car to the shop it sounded fine you couldn't even hear it running but after hearing it run before it jumped time and the second time it sounded like it had a very serious miss to it. I don't know what he has done do you think this car it needs a new engine now he wants to give half of my money back

104,375

Ok now it's getting nasty, it sounds like he didn't know what he was doing, you always compare parts before installing them to prevent problems like this, and it is quite normal for an old hydraulic tensioner to fall apart once the release pin is removed after installed that is how it hold tension on the chain during start up before the oil pressure rises to maintain the hydraulic part of the tensioner. So it is possible that there is a failed part that was installed that is causing the problem or he didn't do the job correctly and he wants to offer half your money back cause he no longer want to be plagued with having to tear it back down to find out what he did wrong. Now when I had my shop and a problem like this happened I would tear it back down to find what went wrong, this I would do at no charge to the customer, if it was something I did that caused it I would cover it totally, and if it was a part failure I always used high quality products so if it did happen at least some of my labor was covered by the products warranty. That is just the cost of doing business and getting and keeping customers. So you could take the money and run, threaten legal action with the BBB if he is a verified business, tell him you want a full refund and then go to a certified shop and have it fixed right. So please when looking for a place to have your vehicle worked on use a place that is certified, most good shops have it displayed that they are. I hope I have helped in this matter, it is tough to be on the receiving end of bad stuff.

Hello I have a Chrysler 300 2.7 and I got my head gaskets fixed and a water pump. Now my car is making loud noises. The Machanic said that I have to drive it for a while and the sound will go away. Is that true?

Great question. I've recently experienced the same incident with my 2006 Chrysler 300

I'm experiencing after changing water pump and timer chain car keep cutting off