Any clues as to why my 06 Kia Spectra quit on me?

Asked by Sep 01, 2015 at 11:41 PM about the 2006 Kia Spectra EX

I have an 06 kia spectra ex with 170,000 miles. I have changed the battery, few sets of tires, and brakes. I've heard of this timing belt issue but haven't remembered to put back money to have it fixed (college kid here). So one night everything seems fine then it starts to die, power steering goes out, and its dead on the side of the road now. New battery, fresh oil change. Could this be timing belt? It sounded terrible when I tried to start it back up. We've heard some models during this year have a better engine than others. Any thoughts?

2,225

if it was timing belt it would have just died no slowing down it would just boom dead. if it slowly died there is a posability that altinator went out and it just ran out of power it would sloow done and then die. go and check battery. there is some thing that you can do to see if it is the belt. pull the oil cap off and have some one turn it over and look through the oil spot and see if you can see cams turn. it they turn the belt is fine. if there is nothing moving in there then belt is probably broke. you will have to check then if the engine is a interferance motor where the pistons hit the valves.

2,225

is there oil under the car?

3,715

timing belt is a option, could have broken a few teeth of the belt

30

first of all do you have any power? lights, radio, dome lights. etc. it could just be a bad ground or maybe your battery is not holding a charge or bad cells. when you have a bad timing belt you will have problems starting the car all together. it will run rough no compression, maybe even back fire. also check for leaks like fuel lines you could have a bad fuel filter or pump..

There is no oil under the car, the engine won't start but radio, lights and a/c still work. Thanks for all of the help everyone!

30

does it turn over at all?

Have an '06 Spectra EX. Lights, dome and radio out. Where would I find the "ground"?

Look for a mechanic on Craigslist in your area.