2006 kia spectra ex, engine boggs down on occasion, changed sparks plugs, and fuel pump assymbly. any ideas?

Asked by Mar 17, 2014 at 07:30 PM about the 2006 Kia Spectra EX

engine boggs down on occasion, not all the time have to pump the gas peddel for the engine to operate normal, not sure if that helps it or fixes it though. have changed spark plugs and enitre fuel pump assymbly. any ideas?

33,385

Have you checked the catalytic converter? Do you have the check engine light on? If you're in the USA take it to a place like AutoZone and have them scan the OBC and see if there are any codes that might help you with the problem.

i have not checked the catalytic converter, and yes the check engine light is on, i will have one of the auto parts stores scan it. So do you think it could be either the catalytic converter or maybe the throttle position sensor? I drove it today for about 17 miles and didnt have a problem but sometimes longer distances it will bogg down.

33,385

Its hard to say. The catalytic converter on it's way out could do that. The throttle position sensor...... Well who knows. Best take it to the auto parts place and get the straight information. BTW have you changed the fuel filter? Are you in a cold climate? Let me know what you find out.

The codes were for o2 sensors, and a heater switch. So I am wondering if its just the sensors, the car has 101497 miles. Or could it be the cats?

Also the only fuel filter I know of is the screen which comes with the fuel pump. I live in Arizona so at night during the winter it is cold but no other time, lol. If you know of another location for a fuel filter please let me know and will change that also just because of the mileage. Thanks for any and all the help

33,385

The O2 sensors can cause the problem you're expecting. They tell the OBC how much air and fuel to give the engine. I recommend that you change them ASAP. Or you risk frying the catalytic converter. To change them is as easy as changing a spark plug but can be in a PIA place to get to. Since you don't have a catalytic converter code is a good thing. Get the proper O2 sensor, not the universal type. It's not worth the money you will save. And use some anti seize. It will make it so much better the next time you have to change them. Oh and change all of them at the same time. Or you'll be back under the Kia doing it again. Call a few auto parts places for prices. And look on ebay too. Let me know how it goes.

Best Answer

I will do that. thanks for again for the help and I will post back with an update.