VIBRATION

Asked by Mar 15, 2009 at 05:44 PM about the 2006 Kia Sorento EX

Hi have a vibration on my sorento which only seems to happen at 55mph as anybody got any ideas

15

Have you had your tires balanced lately? It is more than likely a balance issue.

90

I have a 2006 Sorento with a similar problem. When I apply on the gas going 30 mph or faster I feel a shaking or vibration. My husband took it into have the tires rotated & balanced, but the problem is still there?

265

Pocket, Have you hit a kerb lately, or a hole in the road? This could lead to damage to the cv joint, stearing rack, track rod ends,etc. It could also be that one of the engine mounts is loose/broken. You will need to have the whole front end inspected by someone who knows what they are looking for. Get down, and get dirty

4,455

vibration can be due to various reasons. u got to get ur vehicle checked to know what exactly is the cause.

20

I've the same problem. Had the front end checked, found nothing,so they said. This came from a garage that does mainly suspension work. Could the engine mount really cause this to happen?

265

Worn, or split rubbers on the mounts could easily cause this problem, but since you have had the ok on the front end, perhaps you should look elsewhere. Take the timing belt off, and ensure that the belt is running true, and that the bottom pulley is running true as well. There was a fault on the bottom pulley bolt on this model, if I remember right. I will have to look and see if I still have that note on the computer somewhere. If I have I will post it on here, it might just help. It is not on this comp. will try the other tomorrow. Oh, did you do the timing yourself, or was it done in a garage?

80

Been having same vibration issue. On mine it is only during acceleration of a small amount. If I go fast through the speed no issue, more when i am cruising at that speed range. Put new tie rod end that was worn, balanced and alliegned. Still vibration. It has 62,000 miles, and I need to do timing belt. Could timming cause this issue? and did you find the timing problem info you mentioned above.

I am experiencing a similar Vib. I have an above average level of mech. Experience. Last year I replaced my complete drive shaft ( really easy) as a 2007 owner, I had to replace the whole thing as simple hanger bearings were unavailable. Hint: buy a salvage yard shaft. I saved well over $600.00. Anyway, I am going to pursue early stages of a wheel bearing failure. I have replaced 3 so far . Then tire replacement as two of mine are overdue for rotation and tire "cupping" can cause a pulsating humming noise and Vib. Anyone else? Please help if you can. Thanks

80

funny story hear. had vibration from 68 - 72. dealer replaced rear end, was good (or better) but never went away. Had TB and water pump replaced yesterday and now the vibration is much much less and now is consistently only at 70 mph........

80

PDATE -- I had read on another post it could be related to tire pressure...... sounded a bit lame BUT, I tried it, set tires at 32lbs (sticker on vehicle recommends 30psi) took it out for a drive and dang it if it almost completely removed the vibration. TRY IT!!! MAde my day. What and where I feel it now seems to be the right rear. May have to do with wheel runout or maybe wheel bearings. But it is SOOO MUCH better than it was I will deal with that later.

55

I have a 2014 which I just bought in July, brought it in to the dealer and they balanced the tires and everything and told me it may have just been flat spots in the tires. Gave it back to me and said it was fixed, but, it wasn't. It happens at 55 mph and sometimes feel it during braking, not to mention a slight jerking during braking as well.

10

On front wheel drive models when the engine still cold it vibrates on accelerations and goes out when the car is warm already. On mine it was very hard to find coz when I brought it to the dealer my car is warmed already and the technician and me test drove the car, it did not vibrated. Next day test drove it, vibrates upon acceleration. Found out the axle on driver side pops out slightly causing vibration and car gets heated pop back in. Replaced the axle and the car no longer vibrates. Under warranty for 10 years.

Please check your front prop shaft, I have a similar problem on my 2006 SX, rotated wheels, had all rebalanced, today I went to get tracking done and prior to doing the tracking they had a quick look under the car, Fitter who happened to be an ex Kia mechanic tried to rotate the front prop shaft and found at least a half inch of play when he applied pressure, like the original post my vibration started around 55mph. Having read some similar reports on Kia Sorento forums, this is possibly a precursor to the shaft shearing, the cause being that because the grease nipples are very awkward to get at they are not done during service intervals unless specifically requested, I am not a mechanic, but mine is going into the dealer on Monday to be sorted, hope it helps