2006 Kia won't start

70

Asked by Jan 23, 2015 at 01:15 PM about the 2006 Kia Sedona LX

Put in key, everything lights up, when you turn the key..Nothing, all lights go out, no crank, no nothing. Replaced battery and same. Replaced TSP, Cam position sensors and new starter..Still same problem. Tested ignition to starter and is fine..

That leaves starter solenoid.. its part of the starter assembly but may or may not have come with starter. If it did not come with part with red arrow that might be the trouble click image

70

Also replaced Neutral safety switch. Van has 93K miles and had no issues until now.

70

Yea, the new starter came with the attached solenoid. Tested fine..

Hmmm Throwing out thoughts. Take a jumper cable and attach it to Neg-Post on battery, other end to a good ground on frame/chassis. see what happens. If that works and it starts the trouble is the battery ground

I know..even if lights come on but when you try to start it the ground is only making partial contact and can't carry the load of starter

70

Retested the starter and solenoid, they are good. Going to try to bypass the ignition switch by jumping from the battery to starter to try to isolate the ignition switch.

I'm having the same issue. But what I tracked the problem to is the (ibs module ) which is the fuse box under the dash. It was periodic at first. But now it's daily. I was pulling the Alternator relay out of the dash fuse box and reinserting then it would start. But now that's not working have to let it sit until it starts. I priced the (ibs module) for my van its $190. But I don't want to keep dumping money into this just for that not to be the problem. I've already replaced the battery and alternator. I was also told it may be part of the anti-theft system. the key fobs stopped working about a year ago. But the problem started in Aug.2015

80

irratic no start? had the same thing, had lights, horn, wipers, radio, etc but starter just clicked/balked. jumping was to no avail, same thing. our battery and starter checked out perfect when bench tested. long story short, remove the engine to body ground cable and scrape the paint and primer down to bare metal and make sure all ends and connections are shiny clean. reattach the ground cable securely and our problem was instantly solved. remember the running gear is mounted on rubber mounts and a starter requires many amps to operate at full capacity. Good luck. we 're very pleased now. Parts cost 0 and hard knox troubleshooting and labor was the cure.

85

poppysgarage30017, when you refer to the "engine to body ground cable" do you mean the cable that connects the negative battery post to the body? Or is this something else? We're having the EXACT symptoms you describe, and have been searching for an answer for over a year!

20

I had that problem I had to take it to dealer and they replaced the ibs module which is the fuse box and it has a few other functions also it cost me almost 500 with part 190 and labor 310 which was mostly because of reprogramming of system,keys,fobs it the van works fine now for around 6mos. But the escape keeps coming on and won't go away until you turn key off then back on

20

RallyeOlds350 is my post

30

I've had all the above problems. We removed the anti-theft- no fix, replaced battery and alternator- no fix. Almost replaced gearshift- realized we had not used the other key to start the car in years. Found other key- starts every time with other key for weeks now. I TRULY BELIEVE THE PROBLEM WAS A MALFUCTION IN THE ONE KEY ALL ALONG.

20

Kia Vehicle no start. All electrical works but when you turn the key over nothing. Battery, starter, alternator, fuses... everything is good! Can jump starter to battery, and the car will start. THIS IS WHY: the "SAFETY NEUTRAL SWITCH" is located just under the battery- right beside it. The safety neutral switch had battery acid on it, which caused corrosion and created a pin hole in it. It wasn't very much damage, but enough to mess things up!! You can replace it. I personally, put a push start button in, bypassed the safety neutral switch, and no more "no start" issues! I did the push start button because it was cheaper than the safety neutral switch. I ordered a pretty one in too, so it looks factory. :) I hope this helps with all the different Kia No Start issues. (I have an 05 Kia Spectra) Thanks!!!

30

Same problem here........ you can unplug the alternator fuse located in the fuse box under the steering wheel to the left then plug it back in. Your vehicle will start everytime. This is a hard reset but works. Hope this helps. Also call kia customer service and complain so they will recall the defective parts. 1-800-333-4542

20

poppysgarage30017, Please let us know where is the "engine to body ground cable". I had the same periodic no start for my 2006 Kia Sedona.

10

2008 kia sedona. Purchased new. The no start issue started 6 mos after purchase. Only intermittently. Which means NOT AT THE DEALERSHIP! So every other service visit I would complain about this van picking and choosing when it would start. Sometimes months would go by. Now that we are 8,000 over warranty, it won't start at all. Dealership is expecting me to pay for a starter that they "think" is the issue...not happening. As Kefmsf stated...CALL KIA-he posted the number to the Kia Consumer Department (1-800-333-4542). Explain your issue, you'll get a claim number and they will look in to it. Reported my issue today...I was asked to give it a day or 2 (my van is sitting at the dealership). I will and I will let you know what theit resolution will be.

I have the same problem randomly, lately I get stuck on my lunch break from work, someone came to try and jump me even though the battery seemed fine, didn't work then had to leave my van there and just get a ride back and end up getting back late. I brought to the mechanic and he said it was the starter, now one month later, same thing. This problem has been going on for years randomly, with breaks in between. I never know when it's going to happen, crazy! I called the Kia customer service abc reported the problem. Hopefully they do the right thing and recall this problem.

My car is a 2007 Kia Sedona by the way

I have 2007 Sedona, all lights but randomly no crank. It just started. a few nights ago I hit the unlock on the key fob several times. Today, I slapped the cover of the fuse block 4 times then it would start. I don't know what the next steps are. Trying to get information. I'll call Kia Monday.

10

2006 kia sedona Random no start....all electrical systems work fine but the starter doesn't even click/try to turn over. I pull and replace the alternator relay and it usually starts....if not i pull it and start it the replace it. The problem seems to be getting more frequent and today even with this trick it wouldnt start. I waited about 30 mins and tried again and it started. Also -- sometimes the ignition wont go to the lock/off position. I cant turn the key beyond ACC mode which causes me to be unable to remove the key from the ignition. We have discovered disconnecting the negative battery cable allows the key to be able to be removed. AALLSSOOOO -- the fan control module has burned out 3xs in 6 wks. The volume knob on the radio works properly sometimes and other times the volume jumps all over the place in both directions when the knob is just slightly turned. Surely there is a single underlying cause to explain all of these ridiculous electrical problems, but what is it?!

Hi Leah, had your problem been solved?