2006 Kia won't start

50

Asked by Jan 23, 2015 at 01:15 PM about the 2006 Kia Sedona LX

Put in key, everything lights up, when you turn the key..Nothing, all lights go out, no crank, no nothing. Replaced battery and same. Replaced TSP, Cam position sensors and new starter..Still same problem. Tested ignition to starter and is fine..

148,525

That leaves starter solenoid.. its part of the starter assembly but may or may not have come with starter. If it did not come with part with red arrow that might be the trouble click image

50

Also replaced Neutral safety switch. Van has 93K miles and had no issues until now.

50

Yea, the new starter came with the attached solenoid. Tested fine..

148,525

Hmmm Throwing out thoughts. Take a jumper cable and attach it to Neg-Post on battery, other end to a good ground on frame/chassis. see what happens. If that works and it starts the trouble is the battery ground

148,525

I know..even if lights come on but when you try to start it the ground is only making partial contact and can't carry the load of starter

50

Retested the starter and solenoid, they are good. Going to try to bypass the ignition switch by jumping from the battery to starter to try to isolate the ignition switch.

I'm having the same issue. But what I tracked the problem to is the (ibs module ) which is the fuse box under the dash. It was periodic at first. But now it's daily. I was pulling the Alternator relay out of the dash fuse box and reinserting then it would start. But now that's not working have to let it sit until it starts. I priced the (ibs module) for my van its $190. But I don't want to keep dumping money into this just for that not to be the problem. I've already replaced the battery and alternator. I was also told it may be part of the anti-theft system. the key fobs stopped working about a year ago. But the problem started in Aug.2015

40

irratic no start? had the same thing, had lights, horn, wipers, radio, etc but starter just clicked/balked. jumping was to no avail, same thing. our battery and starter checked out perfect when bench tested. long story short, remove the engine to body ground cable and scrape the paint and primer down to bare metal and make sure all ends and connections are shiny clean. reattach the ground cable securely and our problem was instantly solved. remember the running gear is mounted on rubber mounts and a starter requires many amps to operate at full capacity. Good luck. we 're very pleased now. Parts cost 0 and hard knox troubleshooting and labor was the cure.

65

poppysgarage30017, when you refer to the "engine to body ground cable" do you mean the cable that connects the negative battery post to the body? Or is this something else? We're having the EXACT symptoms you describe, and have been searching for an answer for over a year!

10

I had that problem I had to take it to dealer and they replaced the ibs module which is the fuse box and it has a few other functions also it cost me almost 500 with part 190 and labor 310 which was mostly because of reprogramming of system,keys,fobs it the van works fine now for around 6mos. But the escape keeps coming on and won't go away until you turn key off then back on

10

RallyeOlds350 is my post

10

I've had all the above problems. We removed the anti-theft- no fix, replaced battery and alternator- no fix. Almost replaced gearshift- realized we had not used the other key to start the car in years. Found other key- starts every time with other key for weeks now. I TRULY BELIEVE THE PROBLEM WAS A MALFUCTION IN THE ONE KEY ALL ALONG.

10

Kia Vehicle no start. All electrical works but when you turn the key over nothing. Battery, starter, alternator, fuses... everything is good! Can jump starter to battery, and the car will start. THIS IS WHY: the "SAFETY NEUTRAL SWITCH" is located just under the battery- right beside it. The safety neutral switch had battery acid on it, which caused corrosion and created a pin hole in it. It wasn't very much damage, but enough to mess things up!! You can replace it. I personally, put a push start button in, bypassed the safety neutral switch, and no more "no start" issues! I did the push start button because it was cheaper than the safety neutral switch. I ordered a pretty one in too, so it looks factory. :) I hope this helps with all the different Kia No Start issues. (I have an 05 Kia Spectra) Thanks!!!

10

Same problem here........ you can unplug the alternator fuse located in the fuse box under the steering wheel to the left then plug it back in. Your vehicle will start everytime. This is a hard reset but works. Hope this helps. Also call kia customer service and complain so they will recall the defective parts. 1-800-333-4542

poppysgarage30017, Please let us know where is the "engine to body ground cable". I had the same periodic no start for my 2006 Kia Sedona.