96 chevy caprice 9c1

60

Asked by May 02, 2013 at 09:31 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Base

Hopping someone here can help me with this. Its got me scratching my head.

The car wont stay running it goes for about 30-45 seconds. Then it stalls and won't
start again. When the car is off and I step on the brake it makes the dinging sound like
the key is in the ignition. Then the fuel gauge shoots up to full.

This happened once before and a friend of mine fixed it for a little while by cleaning a
sensor. It leaked more oil now its back to the same problem. The friend is not avail to
tell me what sensor it was.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

are there any trouble codes to be extracted from an OBD-II scan...you should get them and post them here for us...you can get them at your parts store or you can buy a scanner for under 20 (look at amazon), but first am going to guess that your fuel pump relay is having trouble, because it's partially melted, or it is getting insufficient voltage from your weakened aging battery, which is my second guess. A battery older than seven will not provide the Solid power needed to keep a steady flow for the semiconductor devices to function properly.

60

Thanks for replying Roy. I know its not the bat its less then a year old. This problem first came up about a week ago. Brought it to my guy and he said he pulled xyz sensors and cleaned them with brake clean and sprayed them down with air. The seal behind the distributor is on its way out the door and it was/is pissing oil at a high flow rate. Not sure if this changed your guess. Ill pull the code for you 2morrow.

gelidus, you should take the time to mend this "gushing" oil leak...they have gaskets now...you needn't use "indian head gasket shellac" anymore-....though....hmmm, might have to pull the distributor and with a simple o-ring at the base solve that one "gusher"-, intake manifold hopefully ain't the source....need to track the source~

60

Yeah I know I have the parts but I need to drive the thing to the spot with the tools. Thata a project to replace that seal behind the distributor is a job and a half. I just need to get it going for about 4 hours to get it there. And yes that is where the oil leak is comming from.

60

Update: No check engine light on no fault codes to read

Pakistan is a poor country, and many times solve sealing/leaking problems with sewing thread. You could try going round and round the leak with some thick sewing thread rather than replace the seal with a neoprene one, if you've got easy access to the assembly.

Probably is dripping onto a critical semi-conductor control, affecting the perfomance, causing stalling...you might examine the target of the oil.

60

No I dont the lt1 engine is a sob to work on in this aspect. And alot of things are under.around that. Any direction?

you could find the courage to use "foamy engine brite", then pinpoint the leaker...of course will be down for a day for things to dry out...

60

Leak is not the issue its what the leak that has gummed up. Aka now when I step on the brake it makes the sound as if the key is in the ignition

oooh, this isn't good...could find a donor vehicle at the U-pull or pickNpull and unclip from the quick disconnect all of the harnesses that are affected...that's how I'd do it.~

60

Yeah these are not exctly a dime a dozen around here