STEERING SWAYING

10

Asked by Feb 21, 2011 at 01:00 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan RWD

I love my 95 Caprice and have had it since new as well as tried to help it's every pain but this last one has me stumped. I  am constantly turning the steering wheel back and forth as the car is constantly swaying. I have had new lower ball joints, a passenger side tie rod end, and a sway bar bushing replaced and numerous alignments but the wheel keeps shifting worse when the wind is up. Last week a Trooper pulled me over thinking I was drunk and all over the lane white line on the interstate. Any ideas

8,215

how are your wheel bearings??

10

Thanks Jason . Original as far as I know . I thought of that also. Someone said that there was even an adjustment on the steering box to allow for the steering and that makes sense as soon as they align the front end the wheel cocks to the left , and that is way over my head . I love the car and 130K is nothing with these birds, but man it will kill me without someone local that can relate to a rear wheeel GM conventional style steering . I remember my brother many years ago saying "Tighten them off and then back off 1/2 *( I think) on those wheel bearings" I am near Frederick MD. I wonder when he found the one bad sway bar bushing......HOW the other one was ? Oh well I'll keep the faith I live near Frederick MD Thanks Packy 301-788-8369

3,945

Sounds like a bad steering box. You can have it "tightened" at the shop a number of times, but it will need to be replaced eventually.