I have 95 blazer. I just changed the fuel filter. When I start it. It kind of putts now. And when I put it in gear and pull off it cuts off on me when I stop. And it doesn't start right up.

Asked by Feb 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LT

I have to give it gas to start. It doesn't
start right up like it use to.

11,425

Did you use a factory recommend filter and is the arrows pointing in the direction of fuel flow? When changing the filter, could you of bent the line causing less fuel flow or is there a slight hold causing fuel to leak out and causing air into the line? Is it sealed tightly? If that is the only thing you touched and then experienced the problem, I'd think of checking the connections, filter correct, and lines good, then change filters again and see if that works. Sometimes a little bit of money is well spent if it stops aggravation.

I got the filter from auto zone. And it was doing that before I changed it. I didn't bend the line at all. Also. When I took itoff.fuel was leaking from the line. Is there a way to stop the gas from coming out for a while???

11,425

OK, just because you got it from a national store doesn't mean their supplier sent a good product. Second, we are not looking at the vehicle, so we need to ask questions that sound a bit "stupid". No offense to you on this. The fuel lines are supposed to be filled with fuel, so when you start it, there is no interruption of fuel flow to the engine. Same as cutting a watering hose, liquid will flow out. If it was from the line going to the engine, it is in a line holding gasoline to go into the carburetor or EFI. If it was from below, it is from the pressure form the gas tank pushing gas to the engine past the fuel pump. The problem was not resolved by replacement of the filter? Then it may be the fuel delivery system to the intake manifold (carburetor) or injectors (EFI system). It also may be the computer module. In that case ulness you have a computer readout machine, a trip to the local garage to read the computer to find the problem. It could be the injectors or module operating them.

16,255

So the fuel filter didn't cause the problem? Have a fuel pressure and leak down test done. You have the problem child spider Injector in your truck. They are known to leak inside the plenum and make it run awful. The leak down test will verify that.

Should I get a tune up done. Cause I never had it done to this car since I had it..?? Cause right now though it doesn't start right away. It's staying on right now. I drove it and it didn't cut off

Also I smell gas fumes when it starts. Would bad spark plugs or wires cause it to cut off or not stay running????

11,425

It sounds like you have a leak somewhere in your fuel system. Start the vehicle, then shut it off. use toilet tissue to wipe the areas of the gas lines from before the filter to the EFI unit or carburetor. You should find some leakage of gas. If you do, find out if it is a cracked line or lose connection. Fuel Injection units require a sealed closed fuel system to get the proper pressure to the injectors. Have it pressure tested, but first find where the raw gas is coming from before driving it any distance. If you don't, the next stop may be at the insurance company. If you only changed the filter, make sure any and all connections are tight and sealed. Check the lines that you had to of moved for cracks. If you changed the filter due to the same problem, the issue may not be at the filter, but around the injection system itself. Check the fuel rails, injectors, and all connections. Gas will leave a residue most times, and look carefully for any tell tail signs of a gas leak. Good luck.

16,255

A tune up wouldn't hurt but this sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator leaking fuel into the intake. The injector is under the upper intake where you can't see it