starter or ignition switch?

Asked by Oct 10, 2014 at 08:24 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Door LS 4WD

My 95 s-10  blazer won't start. When I try to start it the key stays in the run position and
the starter keeps cranking. Is it my starter or my ignition switch? The vehicle has a 4.3
vortex, auto trans and 4-,wheel drive

19,640

If the key stays in the he forward most position(start) then its the switch. If it comes back to the run position then it's probably going to be the starter.

Best Answer
14,715

The starter switch in the key ignition setting sends electric power to the starter. When you release the key after the start, the electricity current flow is suppose to stop the current to the starter. If this does not happen, the starter will continue to wind. Unless you have a direct short to the starter wire, (solenoid), the switch is not releasing the connection made by the key. So in short, (no pun intended) it is the switch.

Best Answer

I had same problem w/my 95 blazer. Replaced the ignition switch and that solved the problem. Cost me $69.00 at auto zone.Takes about an hour. Just be careful of the air bag!!

My starter is sticking in park and neutral but not n drive can u help

14,715

GuruYYMX, by sticking, do you mean to say it is continuing to run, or will not turn the engine over? I looked on your profile and didn't see any information. What year is your car, and is it an automatic transmission or stick shift? Most modern automatic cars will not start unless it is in park and some older ones when it is also in neutral. To assist with your problem please give as much information as possible. Saving a snowman in the arctic circle is different in South Florida. Thanks, and if you got it fixed, let us know. Information helps everyone.