96 tahoe won't start after loud clang in the engine

10

Asked by Jul 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe 4 Dr LT 4WD SUV

Pretty sure my tahoe ran out of gas. Put about 5 gallons in tank and tried to start. Nothing. Opened what I thought to be the carburetor and "primed" with a little gasoline. It caught one time, the next time, I turned the key, and there was a loud clang. Now it won't do anything. What could I possible have done to my beloved tahoe?

355

Check the spark plugs and see if they are white on the tips, if you have access to cylinder pressure gauge , it would good to find out if the cylinders are holding pressure. Also a fuel gauge to make sure your getting fuel. Check distributor and rotor, too many things to list, but an engine needs air, spark, and fuel to run, so look in the areas that provide that.

110,975

If it has a vortec motor in it you should not have poured gas in the intake. If it back fired thru the intake you will probably need to have another intake installed. They are plastic with plastic fuel tubes in them and will not hold up to a back fire thru the intake. I learned this the hard way by pouring gas in mine like you did. Hope this helps. Good luck

20

hit the bottom of gas tank in the center with a rubber mallet with the key on listen for fuel pump noise for a few sec turn off key repeat hitting center of tank Listen for fuel pump when key is turned on Fuel pump is cooled by the fuel so keep fuel in the tank

10

Hey guys, thanks for all the great answers... The actual problem was before the gas running out, and we didn't know it... pretty sure we blew the head gasket, I got it started for a second yesterday, and billowing white smoke came pouring out of the exhaust... so... again, thank you so much for all the help.