Check engine light just came on my 1996 alumina ltz what should I check first

Asked by Apr 24, 2015 at 07:25 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

I did replace fuel pump fuel filter week
ago car is running fine it seems
nothing is wrong starts right up

11,685

I would recommend getting the code(s). Even though the vehicle feels like it's running okay, the ECU is telling you there is an issue somewhere. Whatever the problem is, it could potentially cause other damage to engine components or decrease gas mileage if not corrected.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Ok will do and post what outcome is on the codes it generates thanks

Ok here's the code p0304 misfire detected on cylinder 4 what the neck does that mean

105

take that code to your local parts store of mechanic they will tell you what the problem is and how to trouble shoot

11,685

Refer to the following link for symptoms/solutions. Basically, A P0304 code indicates that the fuel in cylinder #4 is not igniting or combustion is inadequate. this could result in raw fuel entering the exhaust manifold and finding it's way to the catalytic converter which could cause problems. Or there may be a fuel delivery or valve issue for that particular cylinder. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0304

Goodmorning gentleman now that I have day light to actually be able to see lil better I have traced all spark plug wires back and did find wire on 4 spark plug not entirely pushed in did so cleared the codes and no more check enginge lite and the car had pretty good pick up before now I think I'll have to govern this car wife has lead foot thank you all for your help much appreciated I'm a hvac journeyman residential commercial so that's all I would be able to offer as return favor so if you folks have trouble remember me and I can diagnose pretty much every system by what it a doing or not doing thanks again