Is my car safe to drive if I smell gas?

Asked by Feb 03, 2014 at 12:48 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

I just got a 96 chevy lumina almost 4 wks ago and i noticed that when i park I get a strong stench of of gas coming from the front of the car. I've also noticed the smell of gas when i first turned on the ac on.  I told the guy I got the car from that I smelled the gas when I first turned on the ac and he said that it was typical for a car to have that gas smell if it's been sitting for awhile. I don't know anything about cars so I have no idea what to check for.  Please help! I am pregnant and I have a 2 yr old and 9 yr old that is always with me and I don't want my car to explode while we are in it.  I am scared.  I am going to take it back to the dealership but until then I have to drive it.

7,025

look around the fuel injectors for leaks. they tend to leak as they age due to a mix in our gas. keep away from the moving drivebelt when you check the engine while running. it depends where the fuel leak is; the exhaust pipe can be really hot.

7,405

No, it is not normal to smell gas around the the front of your car. And no, I would not consider it safe to drive. Any fuel leak can cause a fire. Get it checked out.

20,245

first check the evap canister under hood [black coffee can looking thing] for fuel vapors [harmless] coming out. look on ground after running a few minutes for wet gas, or rainbow colors if ground wet, if so ,determine if leak is running down engine[bad] running down on exhaust pipe[bad]