If I have water in my oil is that a blown head gasket?

JacklynVictoria
305

Asked by Dec 03, 2013 at 10:25 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

Car kept over heating, checked my oil and water was in it, went to do a oil change and when I let the oil out water also came out with it..is this a blown head gasket? and if so what do I need to do?

James Ramond
17,975

everyone assumes a head gasket, it just sounds nice, no doubt warped heads, cracked heads, burnt piston ect, if you like the car ,shop for an engine replacement

JacklynVictoria
305

so I need a new engine.. could I but copper sealant in it? somebody told me to use Blue Devil and someone else told me to try the copper kind...could either of them work?

Chris McGee
6,085

Could also be a blown lower intake manifold gasket, if you have coolant in the oil and have driven like this for a while chances are the main and rod bearings are on the way out already. You could take the chance and investigate, have seen dozens blow the intake gaskets and do the same thing you describe. You have a 50/50 shot of saving the engine at this point. You have the 3.1L right?

JacklynVictoria
305

Im not sure I have a v6 4 door car...All I can do is try at this point I guess ;/ ....im going add the sealant do a change the oil, change my thermostat and change the oil filter..

Chris McGee
6,085

be very careful if you start to hear the engine get noisy pull over, don't want to scare you but if as you described is true make sure you have a phone and if you are in cold climate make sure you have a warm jacket and gloves. I was a Chrysler technician for 12 years, did many of these gaskets and around 30 percent of the crank bearings and rod bearings would fail because they were exposed to antifreeze to long and already wore the bearings to the point of failure. If this happens the engine will lock up.

Chris McGee
6,085

We wish you the best of luck...fingers crossed!!

JacklynVictoria
305

okay, I'm not sure if the coolant got into anything or not, I just know it looks like water in the oil, and smokes really bad, and recently my battery kept dyeing for a reason I don't know, and its like when the car start running hot the harder it is to start then my battery gets weak and dies.

JacklynVictoria
305

Thanks...and I Know Right!

Chris McGee
6,085

white smoke out of the tail pipe, sweet smell to it?

JacklynVictoria
305

I'm not sure I know I see ALOT of smoke coming from under my hood, and I think it is coming from my tail pipe also, but i'm not sure about the smell..

tonheib350
635

The car has a 3.1 liter v6 and well known for blowing head gaskets....and yes the others are right it's simpler and cheaper to replace the engine ....blue devil is a waste of money that you can use towards a better engine

Ayad Hawlery
50

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd. coolant mix with oil, still run great no smoking, but every 2 days I have to add some coolant. somebody already told me its head gasket. so what is the best way to fix that problem