96 Lumina brake lights are out.

10

Asked by Jul 15, 2013 at 08:25 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

Third light and blinkers work.  Is this a relay issue? Is the third light wired separately?

Yes. In a 1996 Lumina the Third brake light is wired separately. Your signal for the brake lights come from two different places. For your normal brake lights, the signal actually comes from your turn signal switch, and for your 3rd brake light(the high mount one) the signal actually comes directly off of the brake switch by the pedal. So the rule is, if the high mount works and the rest don't, the problem is in the turn signal switch........ Click the image

10

Good to know! thanks for your help.

You're very welcome...and at the first part of my post it's 'yes' to wired separate but 'no' to relay

10,755

David is correct, the third light is wired separately. But I have never known the turn-signal switch to effect the brakes and not the blinkers?? I have on the other hand on numerous occasions seen the brake light switch go out and the third brake still work (while the two main brake lights do not).

Have no running lights today change the bulbs now I have running lights but no brake lights checked all my fuses

This is an old post but here is your answer for sure. Your turn signal assembly as a unit needs replacing. I have replaced two and the procedure entails removing the steering wheel, air bag assembly carefully and you will need a lock plate tool to remove the steering wheel. Here is a you tube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=uH6NO61pN-Q This is helpful for all W body cars.