My 1996 Chevy Lumina 3.1 V6 has problems starting, if i press down on the gas pedal while turning the key the car will kick over, but sometimes I don't have that problem.

160

Asked by Feb 21, 2013 at 04:35 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan FWD

...okay if you just turned the key, without even entering the vehicle, does it strart cold? or do you need to jockey the gas to get it to run, then does it want to keep running?

160

Sometimes it does start cold, but other times i have to compress the gas pedal a little for it to kick over. It does continue to run, but in idle at a stop light it can be a rough idle.

see michael clark, these kinda are "easy-flood" I believe the 96 still had the cable throttle, the heat riser and snail thermo-start. Should automatically select where it wants to be for optimum starting, and not need no jockeyin' Just can't remember anymore what these things look like, 96 is still old-school- infused with a japanese competition-

So it's kinda chokey, till it warms up to operating temperature, or especially then?

160

yeah that's right. Once warm it runs perfect. I recently replaced the starter because the starter did need replacing, but after a bit this started happening and I thought the starter might be acting up.

160

SO you are saying that the Throttle body injection is the part that needs replaced or the system that needs inspecting?

change your spark plugs?

What they look like may be the key to the operation of this motor.

160

ok.

Black and carbony? wet and oily? light brown? black? moist black? white? kinda sand colored is about what we are looking for with plenty of meat above the insulator, and gapped properly for the voltage- Don't use platinum plugs, they bugger up and don't clean very easy.

...all the same, may as well toss in a fresh set, they're a couple of bucks each for champions (my favorite brand, if they still make 'em). analysis report awaits-----

How many miles has this motor successfully turned?

160

243,000 plus

zazoo surprised it runs...still^^

the plugs are sludgey?

puffin' with the blues yet?

160

what does that mean?

sorry there, got befrazzled as was tryin' to work two of you's at once. drat.

Talking about the exhaust. was it like being trapped in a closet with a stoner smokin' a bong, or was it normal exhaust, havin' so many miles on it. is bound to be smokey like drivin' behind any diesel mercedes.

As far as the throttle body remember these, I think is a single injector in the middle of the throat, not sure if it's like the jetronic system for enriching the cold mix-

160

no the engine runs fine. There is no smoke or emissions that are heavy.

So were your plugs covered in muck, or did they have a mild sand on them?

I've upped your score because you've been co-operative.

I think it's going to be alright. You're just sufferin' from a worn motor that works okay yet. Count your blessings~

160

The spark plugs were a bit dirty with firing film on them. I have three on front side and three on back side of engine.

lookin' good!

gapped them correctly. old school was .024 ford got up to .060 a number like .035 would do nicely.

should say on the cowl on the front of the engine.

please put a picture as your avatar. Your car or your drivers license photo?....or your dream car.

okay michael...it's taken a lot of time, but I think I know what the problem is~ is the intake air temperature sensor....would make it rich...annoyingly rich~ http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Chevrolet/Lumina/AC_Delco/IAT_ Sensor/1996/AC213243.html? apwcid=productads&003=27846857&010=apwAC2132431996chluiase& gclid=CIiU0JmF_bsCFY47Mgodo1EAJA

or lean...see this goodie is like a light bulb filament which behaves differently under certain temperatures...you could unplug it and inspect the filament to see if it's broken...that'd cost nothing~