electrical problems

Asked by Oct 10, 2012 at 08:28 PM about the 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE1 Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB

well when i open my door and get in and start the truck the doors lock and the interior lights go out, but the kicker is the door is still open!! this is a problem because i have been locked out already.  have any ideas? i tried unplugging the battery and resetting computer, but nothing and thats all i have done.  

John Leone

no, that is a setting you can control usually through the main system, (in the steering wheel, or center console), you set the illumination timing, if you can't find the setting, the local dealer service writer, or a non-busy tech would most likely run out and reset it for you, if they can't, or need their module they may charge you, to determine if the control is working as it should, but you again can set when the doors lock, and don't, whether at all, or in gear, etc....need more help let me know

well i have the illumination timing at 20 seconds and well i said as soon as i turn the truck on the light goes out immediatly even when the door is open and the door locks!!! so i need why the door is locking when the door is open and well there is no setting to fix that and light going out so soon. so what is going on do ya think.

John Leone

there is a sensor in the door frame (usually near the hinge", it is a small black piece, that goes in when the door is shut, and springs out, when it is open, perhaps that is getting stuck, you should freely push it in by hand, and when you release should come back out immediately, that is the door ajar indicator sensor...check that and let me know...

well my truck has not little black button in the hinge area. but when i walk up to the truck and pop the handle to open the door the light comes on in the truck. so maybe the button is inside the door hinge like inside the door panel maybe. i know what you mean by a black button thing but there isnt one. but like i said when the truck is started the doors lock and the light goes out. but the driver door is still open and none of that should be happening till i shut the door. thats the mystery!!!

John Leone

could be the latch in the door panel is electronic, so if the handle thinks it is up, then yes= door open.both handles move about freely, and the handles go back to their position regularly?, you know how to remove the panel so you can grease everything? wd-40 is recommended, pb-blast is a personal favorite...even white lithium grease...lube all the joints being sure they move freely...

but other than the light, why would the door be locking? its like it is set to lock that way but all the options i have changed and the programs too and it still locks everytime. as soon as i start the truck it locks about 5seconds later and the lights go out but the door is still open like i said before. so what other option could i look at. i tried the 2programs and the 4 modes and the steering wheel options and nothing.

John Leone

does the door lock button, on any door, seem to be functioning properly, perhaps one of them are wedged in the lock side, or sticking, try pushing them from unlock/lock quickly 20ish times unfreeze it...sorry to try one thought at a time, trying to keep you out of a repair shop for simple things, and these are the steps we would try, in this order... shoot some contact cleaner in them, (if they are easy to get to).....it wont hurt the electrical....

no the locks are working perfectly!! mystery huh? like i said it is doing it like it is set to do it. as soon as i turn the truck on the doors lock like seconds later like they are set to do it. i turn the truck off and start it again it does it about 5seconds later it locks!!!but even the gmc dealer didnt know what was going on or why it does that . so anything else or do you know someone else who would know. i would love to solve this mystery.