hood latch will not release on passenger side, cable off. 1999 jaguar xj8

goldys
140

Asked by Feb 13, 2013 at 09:40 AM about the 1999 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8

tried to open hood and drivers side popped up but not passenger side. found cable off on passenger side. how can i get in to open hood when cable is off/broken at latch on passenger side. thank you

You may be able to get to it by taking off the grille. We have been here on this , not a Jag, it's a dilemma, to get the grille off you have to open the hood, to open the hood you have to get the grille off. One fellow just broke his out with a hammer and bought another grille. I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THAT but it did work.

These hood releases on Jaguars seem to be a recurring problem. The cable has a sheath and core. Hold onto the sheath with some vice grips and pull at the wire core, this will snap open the hood hopefully, but the problem will still exist. We basically have to re-engineer this latch to make sure it behaves istself and does not do this again. Examine the mechanism, try to determine why it let loose, could be as simple as a cable tie fished through two points to hold it in position. Let us know how this works out.

If it is just the receptacle mechanism on the passenger side, let's order a replacement, that way we won't have to get too creative here with our fix.

Removing the wheel well liners is a way I found. You'll be able to figure it out just by looking at them, take off tire, (safe, safe, do NOT work on the car on a jack unless it's is a HIGH QUALITY FLOOR jack, liners and there she be

goldys..Bob knows jags listen to him

goldys
140

I figured it out. The style jag I have has the hood latches by fire wall. Remove plastic inner fender liner 6 inches from top cut hole 1 inch in diameter and shine light in hole using screw driver move release arm on latch and open hood. Inner fender liner will cover hole or use what ever you fell will work to plus hole

Right on goldys. Good for you, and best of luck with the permanent fix

Dang A+ all of you and you to Bob, brother and Dave the A team along with quest appearance GOLDYS, heck were hiring, come on back when your bored....LOL

Crap she can't even mark her answer Most Helpful,

Let's not complain about the behaviour of our clients, as she's dealing with anonymous Answer guys, for example I'm like friggin' 19th. And have never been to 'wrenchin' school' am a hack surviving on what my gut and heart tells me is the right answer...honestly DAVEH25 deserves ALL the points and if I could gift them, would chose Dave and Gary...tenspeed is kinda a smartypants, but gets it most of the time. We all cannot be authorities on what we know must be there, but it's a different century now, and us olde timers who insist on wearing our baseball hats correctly...no reflection on you 7jim, just a newbie crawlin' his way to the middle, do not post answers that you cannot swear by, for if you are in doubt, what do you think our customer is supposed to do with this...is kinda where you're fallin' short, but lots of these gurus know what they are doing more so than I and frankly don't deserve the obnoxious points~

David, I don't 'know jags' don't you know I'm an expert on ALL makes Foreign and Domestic, just like click and clack.

ragman1171
0

Through this post, I've learned that my hood latch lever is broken and needs replaced. That's not the big deal. The issue now is that when I get the car, there was an access panel, or something of the like, just about the hood release lever at the bottom on the dash that is missing. It's about Ok Brother's... I'm in need of some brain power as I'm obviously lacking. I picked up a 2006 jaguar XJ8 on Sat and I need to get soe "Stuff" for it. Of course, there isn't a Hayne's manual for it and the other ones I've found online are no help. I'm hoping someone out there knows what I'm talking about and can give me a name. On a side note, I've learned that the hood release under the dash is broken and I've had to order one. No big whoop, it happens. The problem is, that there is some sort of panel, access or otherwise, that is right above that hood release that is missing. It's about 6-8" long and about 4-5" across. I can't find it in any pics, but want to get it replaced. Thanks in advance!!!