96 cavalier anti theft

Krystal Melton

Asked by Oct 20, 2010 at 05:35 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

Someone tried to seal my car, cut the anti theft wires, beat up the ignition not realzing the car had been rigged up to  apush button from the starter. Bought a  new key from the vin number for 10 bucks but the car starts for about 3 seconds and stalls out. I dont care how the looks or how i ave to get it to start i just need the cheapest way to make it run! all tips are greatly appreciated! thanks

may i get an answer asap

Micheal Robinson

easiest thing to do is disable the anti-theft. typical alarms use a relay to interrupt the starter circuit. however the factory systems are smarter then that and allow the starter to engage but cuts the fuel system. but the anti-theft is still an expansion or stand-alone unit, meaning there should be a fuse/relay or another way to disable the system. i would get the wiring diagram of the system and pull it the whole thing completely. hope this is helpful. Micheal

hey they cut the man wire that is on the side of the inside of ur ignition i fucked up and did that today on my 96 cavalier bec i put a new 1 in but all u have to do is buy the iqnition with the push botting that rel. the key and the cord that runs back up in to the back of ur speed ami. adn 1s ya hook it up turn ya car on not to start it but keep the power on and let it set like that for 15 min then get in and turn it off for 30 2nds then turn it on and ya good to go

do not listen to anyone but me on this stupid ass site ive listened to the stupidest things to do from this dumb ass telling me about doing shit in 10 minute intervals like im robbing a bank or some thing take the anti theft fuse out and your good thats it fuck everyone else

where is the anit theft fuse i have a 96 cavalier and i tryed everything and its not working and i was told there is no fuse for that but i will try anything at this point thank you

Micheal Robinson

Cavalier's are worthless cars to begin with. There is a fuse in the panel for the anti-theft (if the car came with it from factory) However if the anti-theft is an aftermarket add on then the fuse will be on the main harness of the controller itself (if it wasn't cut out by some idiot). Me I would pin point the problem down to what is happening to prevent the car from starting (i.e. wont crank, wont stay running for longer then 3 seconds) Most (if not all) aftermarket security systems use a starter cut-out relay to disable the starter in the event of attempted theft. The factory most often uses a fuel cut- out or an ignition (spark) cut-out which disables the car to run after an allotted time frame. On a GM vehicle the best think to do (and do it right) is to get a Tech-II (GM's dealer scan tool) and find the source of the problem before more damage is caused to the vehicles electrical system.