Transmission slipping at WOT

30

Asked by Mar 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

Got a question for someone to hopefully answer.  We have a 1996 cavalier 2.2 Auto.  The transmission is slipping pretty bad but only when you floor it, or really get on it to pass someone.  It has 125000 miles and we have flushed and changed filter and fluid.  Oil level is right and nothing smells burnt and oil is still pink looking....not brown.  

When we got the car the head gasket was blown and I tore it down, sent head out and had it all redone, and replaced gasket.  New plugs, wires, thermostat, ect.

Was just wondering if maybe I miss connected a vaccum line or could have done something to be causing this issue.  I adjusted the TV Cable when I put throttle cables back in.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I yank the tranny out and try one from a junkyard.  Hate to change it and then find out later I had some little thing messed up.

No engine lights are on and engine runs great.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brian

35

well, in my opinion, if you got it blown-up (same way i got mine) the trans might be slipping due to misuse of the car initially. probably some teenager owned it before you (is my best guess) and the beat the crap out of the car. you might have to spend the money at a shop and get the trans rebuild. i know it sounds like alot, but its the only way to fix it and keep the car moving. ask around at shops, see what kind of a price you can get. if you know someone that owes you a favor, you might be able to cut a deal with him =] taking it to a shop, it might be down for a week or so. but, that's the beat i can tell you Brian. GL with that trans man!

30

Yeah...its the tranny for sure. Found a buddy who does body work....bought a 1996 cavalier with 67000 miles...same tranny. He just stripped the doors, decklid, hood,airbags ect. Told me if I come pick it up its mine. Got a trailer with a winch....so gonna go that route and swap it out here.....just want the car to make it through one more year for school for the boy and not worth dumping shop labor into it. Ill let you know how it turns out.

35

try Lucas transmission additive, it worked for my Mercedes 190e that had tranny problems