Why does my battery light come on while driving but once in a while turns off when I turn out my headlights off.

Asked by Jan 25, 2011 at 06:45 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe FWD

My starter was replaced and battery a week ago and now the battery light comes on while driving and sometimes will go off when I turn my head lights out, why?

Hi..it sounds like the voltage rectifier is going bad inside your alternator..it used to be that you could change them, but not anymore...i'm a manger at an auto parts store and this is a common problem...changing your battery would probably still have been necessary since your car was running mostly on it. Turning off your headlights just takes the load off the electrical system for a while.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Yeah hes right, you used to be able to buy a set of brushes and a regulator for 20 bucks, now theyre more expensive then the alternators themselves... which motor do you have? i can give you step by step instructions to replace the alt, I also work at a parts store

Yeah it sounds like you have a bad alternator like these guys are saying most definitely. Another old rule you can do while the car is running take one of the battery post off if the car stays running the alternator is charging if the car goes dead the alternator is no good that's an old school rule that still stands