Engine problem z24

25

Asked by Nov 05, 2009 at 09:02 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

When my 96 cavalier z24 is cold, everything runs great. When it starts to warm up, however, the engine starts to have some problems. When I step on the gas, the engine sputters/flutters. This happens when the gas pedal is pushed down about 1/4-1/2 way or more. If I feather the gas pedal, it goes fine too. This also only happens when the rpm's are about below 3000. Above 3000, it is also fine. It almost seems like it is not getting enough gas when this happens. Any idea's? Thanks a bunch.

11,385

To many possibilities here with out much more information to start I would go a fuel filter Then check voltage sweep of Throttle Position sensor Possible EGR issue ... Possible throttle body carboned up ...

75

u should have the fuel pressure checked and or the the tps(throttle position sensor). also have the mps sensor checked also(manifold pressure sensor). also see if the throttle plate is plugged up with carbon build up from exhaust gases.

25

Thanks for the help guys, but, MAP Sensor good, TPS Sensor good. Interesting note: Did a fuel pressure test and let all the pressure out of the system; immediately after, the car ran fine around the block, then started to do the same thing...

35

man it just needs a tune up most likely new spark plugs the whole thing thts my bet

35

Like the other guy said, I would do a tune up. Spark plugs and wires... if that doesn't fix the problems look at your coils.

35

ya theres no point in spending all the cash for a wole fuel system wen all u need is a tune up but the only tricky thing on these z24 is that there are no wires its juust spark plugs and then the cover so im not to sure how u could change the boots? idk i got a 98 z24 tho lol runs perfect

135

your dumb there is a boot that goes between the housing and the plugs, change your fuel filter and check your injectors, make sure they work and are snugly connected.

65

Ok wow... I don't think u guys read the question right!! He mentioned that it runs great when its cold but when it warms up is when it starts to have problems! Even if it didn't happen to me I could tell u its probly a temperature sensor / oxygen sensor aka o2 sensor or simply an emission sensor .... that's why when it warms up it'll start acting funny cuz its sending a false reading to the computer!! But I hope u get it running right soon. Best of luck