How can my 1996 Chevy Cavalier pass the smog test year after year when my check engine light is almost always on (I temporarily get it to go away then hurry to the smog station).

Asked by Nov 18, 2011 at 02:24 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

I've tried to have it diagnosed but the trouble codes were very generic & told me
nothing. This makes me think that there is nothing wrong with my car, as it passes
year after year, & that this whole smog check crap is a scam. Please help me
understand  - I'm due for renewal again.

1,305

a check engine light may not be something smog related, it could be a cylinder misfire, idle controller etc etc etc... also as your car ages it does pollute more and more but the test also becomes more lenient

Why can they just fail my car if it may not even be smog related?

3,155

what r the codes that where read?

1,305

ask the people that make the regulations not me, around here cars will fail safety for many things that do not effect safety

have the cat converter checked,it may be cloged up.or just a bad 02 sensor.as long as it passes dont worrie about it.still replace the 02 sensors,if scanned,will read bank 1.it has 3 on it.

2,745

I'm with Tom. We need the codes before we can even attempt to resolve anything without chasing our tails.

10

I need some help badly...I have a 1996 Chevy Caveliers and have had the following parts replaced: O2 Sensor, Ignition Module, Crank Sensor, Fuel Pump, and a Fuel Filter...my var is still cutting off. I can start it and drive about 15-30 miles and it will just shut off as if it's running out of gas. I have exhausted ny funds and still do not know what's wrong with my car. Any suggestions what could be wrong??????

10

I need some help badly...I have a 1996 Chevy Cavelier and have had the following parts replaced...O2 Sensor, Ignition Module, Crank Sensor, Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter...my car is still cutting off after driving it maybe 15-30 miles. It just shuts off as if it is running out of gas. It also backfires when I try to start it sometimes. I guess it should be know that I was caught in a bad thunderstorm two days before this started happening to my car. I was wondering if the rain or flood could have caused this problem? Please help...I have exhausted my funds and still do not what's wrong with my car. Please Help!!!!!!!!!

1,305

get your codes scanned