1996 chevy cavalier cooling system problems

Asked by Mar 16, 2008 at 03:48 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

I have replaced the thermostat and checked the water pump. car is still overheating. heater itself works very hot. radiator intake hose is hot to touch at the first part of it however is cold on end near radiator.  radiator itself is cold to touch, while engine is near boiling point. any ideas?

43,565

Sounds like the replaced thermostat is not working, and you may also have a head gasket leak, which is common for these vehicles. Pressure test the cooling system and see what that reveals.

895

make sure there is no air locks in the coolant system especially at the thermostat housing cuz it will make a cavalier overheat easily.

240

the reason its over heating is because those engines need to be ( bleed the system ) if you notice on your thermostat housing, you have a little bleeder screw..unscrew this bleeder screw while engine is idleing and keep adding coolant when the level goes down..When you start seeing antifreeze comming out of the bleeder screw close the screw and your problem should be fixed 2.2 and 2.4 L engines are bad for this and if you don't do this , it will over heat because of air locks.. The antifreeze canot reach the thermostat so the thermostat does not open causing overheating...Easy fix..good luck