Odd smell in the car and how to change the clock

Asked by Feb 04, 2014 at 01:49 PM about the 2002 Jaguar S-TYPE 4.0

I am looking at purchasing a 2002 S Type (low mileage) and wonder about an oil smell once the car has been driven for a little while.  The current owner is fastidious about cars and had his mechanic check it thoroughly for any leaks/issues and could find none - any ideas?  Also, how do I change the dang clock?!?! That should be easy but I can't figure it out!

237,255

Oil smell in the cabin is usually and oil leak hitting the hot exhaust. It might just be a small leak that is burning off not easily detected. To set the clock, Turn the radio on, then hold in the, "mode" button for about 3 seconds or until the display starts flashing. Then hit it again to change the display to read the time. Then you can either use the keypad or the arrow keys to set the correct time.

Best Answer
237,255

The smell could also be your AC evaporator coil/housing is full of bacteria and mold/mildew giving an oil or "dirty gym sock", "locker room smell", when the car is warmed up and at idle. Cleaning the AC evaporator with a disinfectant helps with this issue.

15

If you have the gps option, just press the menu button ,2nd from the top on the right side or the screen, and then select clock; and press the up or down touch screen arrow above the hour or minute till your time is set and hit enter. I have owned from new 3 S-Types V-8, and never had any oil smell issues? May be the dealer really does a better job with service and doesn't spill the oil during the oil change?

The smell was there with the previous owner from the first day he drove it so I'm thinking a small oil leak is the first thing to investigate. Thanks for the tip and I'll go change my clock. now!