AC compressor keeps turning on and off

Asked by Sep 21, 2015 at 01:35 PM about the 2002 Jaguar S-TYPE 3.0

I have a new compressor and was working fine but
now it keeps clicking on and off.  So it's it blows
cold warm cold warm

17,580

You have a freon leak somewhere the the A/C system. Low freon will cause compressor to click on and off. Have leak fixed and recharge system.

Checked freon levels. They are good. Checked pressure and was a tad high so backed out a bit of freon. Still kicking on and off

93,835

what was the pressure reading on the high and low side??

61,115

Faulty pressure switch if freon level is right or bad compressor.

40 on the low side. Not sure of high side

222,285

Are you using actual AC gauges or the one on an auto parts fill can? Those are not very accurate. This is what you need....http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-manifold-gauge-set-92649.html

20,145

ts is right ..could also be just a bad connector at the ac heador low high pressure switch... also..when the clutch is off and cool give it a good spray with BRAKE KLEEN.. between cthe clutcheand plate !

7,700

You may have overcharged the system so when the compressor comes on ... pressure rises above Hi-stting ... compressor goes off ... pressure drops below switch setting so compressor comes back on

7,700

Tom ,,, I got that on sale a couple weeks ago ... really nice and it has fittings for 136A and R22 ..

20

Could just be normal operating condition of the compressor, they are meant to switch off when pressure is high, then as the Freon bleeds through the orifice valve, the pressure drops then the compressor cycles ON, this is NORMAL.

Not normal to blow cold then hot every couple minutes

20

There are a lot of reasons why, one, was the system evacuated when the compressor was changed or just charged up? Is it extremely hot where you are? Is it set on recirculate and all the way cold or somewhere in between? Is it on max A/C? Like Tom asked, have you checked your pressures with real gauges? Tell us more please.

20

If you installed the compressor yourself and didn't evacuate the system this could be your whole problem, also if you didn't add any oil to the system, you won't have a new compressor very long, it will be a seized up piece of junk very quickly.

Nope, a shop installed it. But when I took it in again they said they wanted to charge to diagnose.

20

Sounds like a court case to me, if they charged you to install it they should have evacuated and recharged the system to the proper pressures as part of the repair. How about the settings? and some of those other questions I asked in the previous post?