WERE DO YOU CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID

Asked by Apr 26, 2013 at 05:40 PM about the 2002 Jaguar S-TYPE 3.0

HAD LIGHT ON DASH THAT SAID GEAR BOX MALFUNCTION

825

There is no transmission fluid dipstick as those transmissions are sealed for life. We do not service them and will only check or take a fluid sample when there is a problem. The fluid check procedure is to have the engine running and warm the trans fluid to 30-50 degrees C. Remove the 8mm allen fill plug on the passenger side rear of the trans case and once fluid flow out it is full. This will also be the place to add fluid.

3,460

Good to know, thanks.

985

Partially correct. There is no dipstick, but there IS a drain plug and fill plug. I just drained and refilled mine 3 weeks ago and i couldn't be happier as i was about to take it to a transmission shop for some VERY loud noises and whining, along with occasional jerking. Since the fluid change it runs and sounds like a different car. Note that the drain plug location varies depending on whether auto or manual. You should get approximately 3.5 quarts out. Less if it was low, more if it was overfilled. Used Castrol Import Multi Vehicle fluid.

470

where is the fill plug I cant find it

265

passenger side rear of the trans case is this in the trunk.

985

Kind of hard to describe, but if looking at the motor from the front, it's beneath and somewhat to the left of the battery box. It's capped with a rubber plug you should be able to remove with your bare hands. You'll need a long, thin funnel to add fluid. If you prefer you can remove the battery and box and it should give you direct access. Note that unless you plan on following the very tedious fluid level check, i wouldn't add any fluid {can be over filled} without 1st draining the old fluid. Again, it will take about 3.5 qt after the drain (paid about $7 qt for mine). good luck!

110

Under the battery completely wrong s type battery is in trunk

985

jdny88 is completely right (as mariroddy also pointed out before)... my post was for the XType, as was my earlier post. If anyone knows of a way to remove or reclassify my posts, let me know. Otherwise, my apologies, and if you DO have an XType and ended up here accidentally, i hope the post helps. Cheers

100

Does trans. Cup needs to be full @ all time?

20

I need a doctor

40

Right side of tail shaft of tranny 8mm plug

90

This will explain it for you, apparently the gearbox oil filter is buit into the sump and thats why they change that as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMseFY8GpY

120

I was wondering what type of transmission. Fluid does the xtype jaguar take note if there is a sub for it n can anyone post a pic of where u drain it from n fill. Plz

30

Thank you so much I have been looking for the transmission dipstick for almost an hour now your answer has helped me tremendously have a great day

110

please need answer when I push down on pedal ignition jag won't go does it mean transmission is bad or do I need to put transmission fluid in.

300

When When I push down on gas pedal the car want go doe's this mean the transmission is going out or do I need fluid

30

@05XTypeSport I drive an xtype2003. Thanks so much for the post, I will try it out and I hope it works...

100

What tool do you use to fill the transmission fluid ?

100

2001 Jaguar S-Type

30

Been looking at post on here and ive owned 4 jaguar s and i have had a problem with trans leaking dont overreact go buy a pump to transfer transfluid from qt to trans it has a 8mm allen on pass side aluminum plug take it out but car needs to be jacked up front and rear pass side you need to have an extra set of hands to do this also when you add fluid you might be a good 4-5 qts low so have that on hand i use valvoline import synthetic best stuff out there it, made so much difference, you know it happends when you car makes a thump when acceleration bang you think it a trans problem it is its just the pump running out of fluid, when you are ready to fill start car and fill with pump until it seems its not taking any more ,cause it is supposed to have a stream of fluid coming out when full put back plug clean up and test drive you will see night and day difference in shifting and quiet!! Use a oil catch pan as its a messy job but it is so fullfilling knowing you saved your car ..

20

Does anyone knows if the transmission is connected with the radiator?

30

Where is the transmission oil filter located for a jaguar x type 2001