Opinion

20

Asked by Aug 23, 2013 at 02:07 AM about the 2004 Jaguar S-TYPE 4.2

I am contemplating purchasing one of these used.  I do not want to be in the shop all the
time.  Miles on the car are 89k.  It is a gorgeous car but I also need to be practicle.  Pass
or go for it?

7,895

They are beautiful cars, and very comfortable, too. Beware of the cost of maintenance. ANY high end, or even mid-market, European car is an expensive proposition when it comes to maintaining them, and that is assuming nothing breaks. Anything with a Bosch electrical system is prone to expensive problems, too. I don't care what brand, they all use Bosch and that company is starting to rival Lucas Electrics for problem wiring. Mechanically, a lot of the pieces are standard issue European parts, such as the ZF transmission. The Jaguar engines seem to be good, providing you maintain them per the owner's manual. This is not inexpensive. The cost of keeping them is the reason used European cars seem to be a bargain in the used car marketplace. It gets worse as they age. Personally, I would pass, but that is my own opinion.

24,095

This is an EASY question to answer: Absolutely, positively PASS on buying this car! Jags have a bad history in terms of reliability (Consumer Reports and several other sources will tell you that). And you're looking at a 9 year old one with 89k miles = more problematic scenario. Do yourself a BIG favor...BEFORE you buy ANY used car, do very thorough research on it before you buy. It's so easy to fall in love with the looks of a car and get trapped in a money pit!

Lucas electrical=prince of Darkness~

210,105

Pass Go, do not collect $200

20

I am going to pass. Thank you all for the feedback!

15

I have a 2006 S-type Jag 3.0 and it runs good. 59,000 miles. It is beautiful. No apparent problems. Don't want any. I have a jag mechanic-and they are more expensive then others. I intend to sell it now. I would like to upgrade to a Caddie with low miles. This has been my second Jag (2003 S- type-previous) They were both fun and head turners. Got to watch the mechanics though! CLIMATE CONTROL. My air conditioner like the other owner stated -started warm AND TOOK TIME TO COOL OFF. THIS HAS BEEN A 2ND CAR FOR ME. BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING ONE-YOU MIGHT LIKE IT IF YOU CHOOSE CORRECTLY. JC

there is nothing special about air conditioning...like five critical components...hermetically sealed...once it's put right does need NO maintenance~ my Toyota truck air conditioning has NEVER been serviced in the eight years I've owned it and has worked beautifully....always~

15

I have had 3 S-Types and have had no problems. Great ride and performance to go with it if you have the 4.2 V-8