What might be causing headlights, turn signals and fog lights to NOT work, as well as the windshield wipers?

Asked by Feb 07, 2016 at 05:43 PM about the 2005 Jaguar S-TYPE 3.0

This is a 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, and it has what appears to be electrical
problems that are confined to all of its front lights (headlights, turn signals,
fog lights) and its windshield wipers. All other electrical systems and
components throughout the car seem to work fine. What might be causing
this? I've been told this could be much more complicated than a simple
fuse or an easily identifiable circuit and could be very expensive to
troubleshoot and fix. Is this likely to be the case?

What do you know about the history of the car? When did this start? Has it been this way since you got it? I sounds to me like it had been wrecked, fixed but not tested. Could be severed wire loom or maybe pinched and shorted.

To the best of my knowledge the car has never be wrecked... at least VIN reports I've purchased show no accidents in its history. I'm very strongly considering buying this car... or at least I'd like to buy it, because I love everything else about it. However, I'm not going to do so if I can't see a way to resolve this electrical issue. What I would like like to determine is whether this is more likely something that could be diagnosed and fixed easily and inexpensively. Or, is it something that could be just the opposite.

Since you haven't bought it yet, DON'T! Start Googling the S-Type. Nothing but trouble. Yes, they are very nice cars for the money but 4-wheels of trouble. If you still insist on buying it, make the current owner fix it. If he balks, ask him why he won't. The car is already 11 years old and Jags just get worse. I was a jag dealer in the 50-60's and they were good cars then. The real problem then and maybe now is twofold... first Americans don't know how to drive them and second, not many mechanics know how to work on them but just say they do. Stay away.

Thanks Oldtimer. As a former Jag dealer, you can at least claim to have some credibility behind your comment. I have heard this complaint before though... usually from people who want to pit Mercedes Benz, BMW or Audi against Jaguar as being better cars... or at least better ways to spend money. The many car forums out there collectively offer mixed reviews. For instance, check out Edmunds reviews and Jaguar gets 4.8 out of 5 stars. Whereas, individuals with some amount of experience as Jag owners often say the nastiest things about them. It seems Jags are one of those things you either really love or you absolutely hate... there is not much middle ground on them. For me, personally, I just can not afford to make this kind of mistake.

If I am not mistaken, Edmund's gets reports from NEW users that haven't had time to develop the problems that do show up. I was at the Coventry Works around 1998 I think and was privileged to get a complete tour of the factory. At that time they had the S-Type in the development lab and at first thought it was an older 3.8! Striking resemblance in low light. I could probably keep a 10 year old jag running if I had it. I lost two classics in Hurricane Katrina... 67 E-Type in full race trim and a Heritage 4.2 Mark III. I don't know what the price is being asked on yours, but without EVERYTHING working, I still say my best advice is forget it. I have gotten away from European luxury cars and now drive Lexus and Infinity.

What a horrible loss! That had to be heart-breaking. I was in high school in the late 60s, and also had a part-time job after school. My boss back then had a '68 XKE convertible. He bought it new. It had the real chrome wire wheels with the spinners, and was a sort of pale yellow with black leather. I thought it was the most incredible car and have been a fan of Jaguar ever since. The S-Type I was considering can be purchased for $3,750. My regular mechanic has been pushing Lexus and Infiniti. He himself drives an older Q45 that he bought from a customer and loves it. I may have to pursue one of those makes myself.

Since you were in school in the late 60's, you're old enough to let common sense rule emotion. I think you will make the right decision on this car. My E was very sentimental to me as I too bought it new, set it up with triple Weber 45-DCOE's, roll bar, etc. and raced it for two seasons. After that, I rebuilt it and drove it on weekends and finally stored it in my warehouse for about 30 years. I did pickle it and would hook up a battery every few weeks, long enough to turn it over to keep the cylinders free. Finally, in 2003 I pulled it out, cleaned it up and started going to small shows with it. It was even more fun being at an age when a lot of these young guys didn't even know what one was. When you make up your mind, let me know your decision on the S. Enjoyed the conversation... Good luck.