Would low coolant shut down fuel pump?

Asked by Mar 02, 2013 at 12:58 PM about the 1991 Buick Skylark Custom Coupe FWD

I changed my water pump. I did not put coolant in system in case of leaks drove to
get gas car stalls at the pump I thought I ran out of gas no big deal. Well the car will
not start now.I don't hear the fuel pump anymore.I read in a Chilton manuel that
low coolant could make it not run. My questions are 1) I pressed the fitting on fuel
rail that looks like a valve stem on a tire it sprayed gas out.Is it because of what was
still in the system? 2) If coolant low enough will that over ride the fuel pump and
keep it from coming on?

102,175

By driving with no coolant, you may have turned your engine into a boat anchor. Engines do not run very long with out coolant. No coolant will not stop the fuel pump. No coolant will stop the pistons from moving.

Best Answer Mark helpful
71,595

Never EVER drive without coolant or oil in the engine!!! If you're lucky it just vapor locked due to excessive heat. Did you hear any knocking from the engine before it quit? Will it still crank over? -Jim