overheating problems

Asked by Jan 27, 2016 at 08:27 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Ok I have a 96 z28 camero with ls1. We have changed the radiator the radiator
cap the water pump the thermostat and the optic spark. When it just sits
without air conditioning on it over heats within few min when the air on it takes
longer to over heat. I also have a leak at the fire wall. What would it be. When u
drive it it does get hot but never overheat but it does cool down.

65,305

Have you purged the air from the cooling system? The coolant leak sounds like it is in the area of the heater core.

Yes on purged and the inside of car dry and so is the heater core but its still leaking water on the access door on fire wall

65,305

Is the water from the AC? And does the system build up pressure, then it leaks? Then how is the radiator fan system, working? Also is the radiator big enough?

No on Ac yes it does build up pressure no leaks fan seem to be working not sure on radiator size

65,305

Ok, possible that the thermostat defective, as a resort you could take it out, put it in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer to check at what temp. it opens at, and if it stays open. Next but not likely in your case would be a bad head gasket. You could do a compression test to see if there is 1 or 2 low cylinders to verify, or a bleed down cooling system test, but you would need to figure where that leak is coming from, (check hoses and clamps) Can you see into the radiator to tell how the circulation is? Just thinking water pump on that one, but 90% of the time they just leak. Timing is another one if is too far advanced, but the OBDII computer controls that. So then we're back to the radiator, Probably should be a 3 core radiator at least.

Its that that. We bought one that has to open.

65,305

All thermostats have to open at a certain temp. in order to be working properly.

It works like suppose to. We done every test to it.

65,305

Does it get hot because the temperature gauge says so? Shops have this therm o digital temperature reader to measure actual coolant temperature. It may be the Temperature Sending Unit is not working properly.

How would u find it or check it.

65,305

It should be located on the drivers side of the head. It would screw into the water jacket of the cooling system. There may be one in the thermostat housing, not sure.

Ok its not that either we have changed it. It over heats idling but will cool down if u drive it.

65,305

Sound like you have all the bases covered. I would verify the temperature with a thermo thermometer to know what the temperature actually is to verify that there is a problem, or hook a mechanical gauge in to see the actual temp. If you checked the things I have suggested, then the only other things it could be is the radiator too small, the fan clutch, or something wrong with the water pump. Any ideas on your end?

No not really

65,305

Verify the temperature and go from there.