Security light on, horn keeps going off.

Asked by Dec 11, 2014 at 02:43 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I just bought a 1996 Chevy Camaro Z28 that has the security light on in the dash. I noticed
the horn didn't work either so I checked the fuse and the fuse under the hood was missing.
Replaced the fuse and the horn works but sometimes the horn will sound and not shut off,
sounds like someone is holding down the horn button without letting go. I think it might
have something to do with the Security light on? I would appreciate any help, thank you.

115

Try checking the horn relay, pull out the wires if the horn stops then the button is broken, it not then it is the relay. With your security light on your antitheft system is failing. From the moment you put your key in the ignition, there begins a constant line of communication between your key's security chip or transponder, to the ignition's lock cylinder, and then to the car's TDM. These 3 parts are in CONSTANT communication. If the key is in the ignition, these parts are sending signals to each other. The security light illuminates when that signal gets broken, even just for a second. When the signal breaks, the car goes into antitheft mode. The car thinks its being stolen or hotwired because it is not getting that signal from YOUR specific key. There is where the security light turns on and shuts down your vehicle.

Best Answer
695

When security is on the horn is supposed to sound when someone touches the car