why is my engine knocking

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 01:53 AM about the 1994 Buick Skylark Custom Sedan FWD

as soon as i start my car i hear a loud knocking sound and my oil pressure has dropped

Low oil, oil that has been deluted by gas or coolent or the oil pump is tired.

Yup, knocking is caused by low oil pressure, the valves need lubrication.

1994 car - depending on how much you love it and want to spend on it - throw in a can (or two) of STP . I got a ton of miles out of many $100. clunkers when I was a youngster and they all had oil pressure knocks.

P.S. I might be showing my age. do they still sell the thick gooey stuff that came in a pint size can? whole bananas worked too but didn't last as long as STP.

STP was still available last time I was in the USA. There's a product called Bartol here in the Philippines that's thick and gooey like STP. I bet the brand name BARTOL brings back memories.:-)

Bartol - Bartol are you trying to tell me they don't make that anymore, if it's the stuff i AM REMEMBERING then it saved many a rad with the little pellets mixed in some kind of goop that sealed rad leaks and I think they had one for the crankcase too.

I haven't seen it for years in the USA. I to remember it being a go to " Mechanic in a Can." I was surprised to see that they have a full line here in The Philippines.

STP,Bartol,Duct tape ,picture hanging wire and an emmery board and you could keep a car running until the body rotted off - THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF MY YOUTH. all you needed was some compression in most cylinders, spark,fuel and away we drove.

Hey! That sounds like my tool box. One of the things I like about living in the Philippines is there are still some cars here that is all you need.

I'm enjoying your attitude but I don't think we're doing much to solve this person's knocking problem, I'll OPEN A QUESTION under Cadillac Questions - Any problems with Cadi in the Philippines? catch you there now and again if you want

Your way a head of me. See you there