I can't get the rear brake drums loose, SOS, anyone know how?

195

Asked by Apr 25, 2011 at 08:12 PM about the 1995 Buick Skylark Custom Sedan FWD

My rear brake drums are heavily rusted, but after an afternoon of wd-40 and PB, with a 5 pound sledge, they just won't budge.  In one set of instructions, and a couple of conversations I was told to remove a rubber piece toward the bottom of the back side and insert a screw drive to adjust the shoes.  However, there isn't any suck rubber piece or opening.  

3,255

Usual cause is the drums have worn and a "lip" is preventing the drums from sliding off. Loosening the shoes will usually resolve. Some GM's had provision to chisel out a tab to access adjuster. I have chisel off the heads of the pins that hold the shoes to the backing plate and been able to get off.

195

Thanks for the tip. I got an email from a buddy about an hour ago and he told me to hit it hard with a heavy hammer, which I had been doing from the back, side, the side, and the front for hours. Turns out that I needed to swipe at it at the front edge at a 45 degree angle right on the edge. worked like a charm. I dropped the drums and came in for the night, so I still don't know who to adjust the shoes from the back. With your information, I should be able to figure it out for future needs. Thanks for the reply. I'll bet they were so rusted that I'd never have been able to figure out where the tab is to chisel out.