Is there a way to remove the oil pan on a 1996 camaro 3.8 without lifting the engine?

Asked by Mar 04, 2015 at 12:22 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe RWD

10

Try using a saw and cut the pan into small pieces so it can be removed without interference from the lower frame

that would be fine except I would still have to get it back in and then I would be right where I have started. I have read some on lower the front cross member to get some clearance but I don't know how difficult that is. it looks like it is only 4 or 5 bolts.

10

First of all I need to apologize for my previous answer it was unprofessional and I was wrong for posting it. I don't know the exact details on your vehicle but I have been working on cars for over 30 years so I'll tell you my experience. Its usually harder to remove all the cross member parts out of the way. I have many times just pulled the two bolts on the engine mounts and then jacked up the engine enough to place a couple of 2 x 4 pieces under the mounts to hold the engine up. Then I had enough room to remove the oil pan. Where this becomes difficult is with the oil pump pickup. You have to move the pan around so you can get your hand inside to remove the pickup. Just be careful if you use a jack to raise the engine, you need to block it up so your not jacking on the oil pan and damage it. Good luck and I hope this helps

I am having this same problem on mine. I have all the bolts of except the front one that is hidden. I dropped my y pipe from the manifold to get 3 to 4 more inches but still can't get the front bolt. If i cut the oil pan off then cut a 1 inch piece off the plate in front of the oil pan i am hoping this gives me enough room too get the bolt and a flex head ratchet wrench inn there. Is this a good idea as i don't have the means of lifting my engine and that seems like allot more work.???

I'm working on a 98 Camaro trying to change the oil pan gasket I've been doing Mechanics for a long time but this is the first time I change a oil pan gasket on a camaro are they all the same I'd appreciate any help you can offer me

I'm not sure but i believe the 98 is the same but just double check. Mine is a 3.8l 3800 series engine. I did not have a means of lifting my engine to do it but i found the only way to do this job was the following. I took the heat shield off the starter, then the starter followed by removing the fly wheel cover. Then i cut my y pipe and removed it from the exhaust manifold. I had to drill out my exhaust manifold bolts. The pan then drops but just be careful cause it still hits the frame and fly wheel. And watch your oil pump in this process.