My 1992 Buick roadmaster limited edition sedan is losing power and when idling the oil light is coming on and oil gauge is going all the way down. Is this maybe my oil pump is going out?.

Asked by Aug 29, 2014 at 01:01 PM about the 1992 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Limited Sedan

Also dying a lot.

555

Before blaming the oil pump hook up a mechanical gauge to make sure your sending unit is not to blame. The poor idling could also be the reason your oil light could be turning on (idle to low). This may sound crazy but I have had oil filters collapse internally causing a restriction in oil flow. A cheap test would be to do an oil change and use a new high quality filter. Is the engine making any rattling or klunking noises? That would be a sign of engine starving for oil. If the engine is running quite could be a sending unit or the poor idle quality (again idle to low). Is the check engine light on?

10

Yes the check engine light is on. And the engine is calm no noises or kinking. Thanks for your help I will try what you recommended.

555

Cool glad to hear that the engine is not rattling. Get the engine codes and change the oil and please post your results. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care Dan

40

Sounds like ur fuel pump my 95 roadmaster would not start when I put gas then I would bang the gas tank give it a try n presto. So I installed whole fuel pump sending unit assembly. Then weeks later my car was idling rough n stalling finally just wouldnt start. After research found the optispark to b a pain in the ass n caused these problems so had water pump along with optispark changed and started right up. Did it my self took me 8 hours but saved me like $700 hope this helps and also the car would backfire hasnt done it since.

I have this same problem. Have you fixed it yet. I use to burn out straight gas no brakes. Now I can't seem to have enough power to do that anymore. Let me know